Delta 22-540 Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzdodge

New User
zz
When the Delta 22-540 first came out, we needed two beds because my youngest two were still sleeping on their crib mattress on the floor. So with a supplier of birdseye and hard maple nearby, the perfect storm existed to buy a thickness planer.

The Delta 22-540 planed and planed, and when the compost piles got saturated with maple chips, and we got tired of shoveling them into the woodstove, they were finally hauled away with the trash. I should have dumped them in the north 40, but I was probably too sleep deprived enough to think clearly.

Nevertheless, the bunk beds got made, and they survived the youngest two who were drummers, football players, basketball center and power forward, and all the things that 6 foot 5 inch high metabolism guys do. And the beds survived.

The planer didn't do so well. After firing it up a couple of years ago, it started complaining in a very noisy way, as if it was going to get angry and throw parts all over. It came apart twice, got lubed, and there was no almost ready to disintegrate bearings to be found.

Searching, one post was found on another forum where the woodworker had a similar problem, and found the problem to go away with disassembly and lube. In this case, that didn't work.

Has anyone here had a similar problem where their 22-540 planer got very loud with bearing about to spin into bits type noise? How did they solve it?

BTW, the planer still works very well, and gives me quality finishes. It has probably only seen a couple of thousand board feet, so it is still "new" in terms of hours of use. When the need for more frustration occurs, it will get pulled apart again, and lubed again, and again searched for the noisy one. That bearing which keeps me from sleeping and thinking just how inadequate I am at keeping my toys in good order.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Just thinking about what could cause that type of noise other than a bearing. Of course the cutter head is spinning within the bearings, so I would start there. Have you taken the blades out, made sure they are clean and not damaged or rusty, and reinstalled them? That would be my starting point since they are directly connected to the bearings.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You have bearings on the cutter shaft, you also have bearings in the motor.
Have you checked both sets?
Is the belt in good shape and properly tensioned?
Is there a fan on that model? Is it loose or damaged?
Those are the only things I can think of that cause excessive noise.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Hmm..you can't isolate the noise ? I assume you've tried removing the drive belt and spinning the cutterhead by hand (beware the knives).

Similarily, have you tried powering the motor *unconnected to the cutterhead and feed rollers*? Maybe the noise is in the motor.

Also check for loose pulleys.

-Mark

zzdodge

New User
zz
Motor spins quiet (includes fan). Bearings all look and feel good. Cutter head is clean, and knives are sharp. Cut quality is good. Gearbox appears fine, and has lube.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Motor spins quiet (includes fan). Bearings all look and feel good. Cutter head is clean, and knives are sharp. Cut quality is good. Gearbox appears fine, and has lube.
I had a similar problem once not with that exact model but it was pitch buildup on the underside of head casing. Just enough to make the machine sound "abnormal" as the head contacted the buildup during rotation.

Your doing the right thing... If when you hit the power switch for a machine and it don't sound "normal" shut it down and determine and fix the problem. Better to be safe than sorry.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
check the set screw and key on the cutter head. make sure it is tight and has not wallered ( is that a word?) out the groove. I've seen this before. I have 2 of these. one is parts. care to guess why?

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
crap.jpg

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Check the under-side of the discharge chip shield. It's light sheet metal and has a stiffener tack welded across it on the underside. On mine, the tack welds on that stiffener failed and the stiffener sagged into the cutter head. Made a god-awful racket. That shield has since been replaced with a dust collection hood.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I am not familiar with this model of planer, so I can not offer model specific suggestions. However, if your first instinct was bad bearings then there is another related possibility you may wish to investigate. Gears and pulleys can loosen up on shafts and spin semi-freely on what should otherwise be a fixed mount, resulting in a grinding or rattling sort of noise both from the slipping and because the gear or pulley may be wobbling as it spins which can interfere with how it meshes with neighboring gears, or even rubbing up against other components to either side of it. You may wish to ensure that all the fixed gears and pulleys, along with the curating head and pressure rollers, are well tight end and not spinning freely and that no press-fit nylon gears or pulleys have split near their shaft that can allow them to spin freely. Do not forget to check the motor's fan condition and that it is still firmly mounted t he shaft as they can also work loose sometimes. And while checking on the gears, inspect them to ensure none have had teeth stripped off them, which can also cause issues with how they mesh together (especially when more than one tooth is affected).

And, as Chris points out, check that all sheet metal is still well secured because if it does come loose anywhere then it will amplify the many harmonics present creating quite a racket even with nothing else wrong...or if very loose can even rub against moving parts creating an even greater racket.

zzdodge

New User
zz
Check the under-side of the discharge chip shield. It's light sheet metal and has a stiffener tack welded across it on the underside. On mine, the tack welds on that stiffener failed and the stiffener sagged into the cutter head. Made a god-awful racket. That shield has since been replaced with a dust collection hood.

I actually have that dust collection hood. Some people complained about it, but I have had few problems with it. It needs a high volume DC, rather than a shop vac. Nevertheless, thanks for the suggestion.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
If you don't want that I'll take it... :)

if this was directed to me, come get it!:wsmile: I got it from another member a year or two ago for parts and have not needed any parts. It's just sitting around collecting dust. I've moved it out of my way too many times..... it is the 22-560.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors