Delta 17-900 Drill Press -- anyone have anything favorable (or not) to say??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Hi all,

I'm looking at a used Delta (purchased in '94) but with new belts. Looks like it has surface rust on the column and table, but from what I can see from pictures, the motor housing and belt assemblies look good. Asking price is $240.

Anyone have any advice specific to the Delta or purchasing a drill press used? Anything I need to specifically look at? Was going to run the machine and make sure there's no play in the arbor.

Thanks,
Mark

jobelenus

New User
bigjohn
The only advice I have is to check for arbor runout(just like a table saw) it will kill you if it's bad - I need to upgrade my own old Delta to a "straight" one....

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Mark
I bought my 17-900 in 1994-5 time period. I have done a ton of drilling with it and the arbor is still good. The only thing I wish I had was a better up and down adjusting gear for the table. The original was pretty flimsy so I took it off and operate the height function manually.

I don't know the cost of a new one these days but I really love having my drill press. Hope she works out.
dan

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
i have the same press and love it. had surface rust on the column and table when I bought it off of CL for $200. Not a whole lot that can be wrong -as long as it drills a straight hole. I disassmbled it, used Barkeeper's friend and a scotchbrite pad for the column and electrolysis for the table. I had to futz w/ the table adjustment a bit until it was smooth. I agree it's pretty flimsy, but works ok. Check to see if the tool is available to remove the spindle. If you need to clean the chuck you'll have to remove the spindle first (morse taper) and then tap it out.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Sam I see you're in Durham. I'm up on the north side of town near Riverside HS. I have some photos posted of work I've been doing here in the last couple years. Take a look maybe get together at some point.

dan

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Okay --- the drill press looked pretty good. I didn't have a gauge to measure arbor runout. I did make a little sawdust --- and from what I can see and feel, the arbor is true. The motor and arbor look in good shape -- the pulleys and belts are new. Some surface rust on the base and column but nothing that I don't think I can remove. Soooo.... for $220, its mine. Did y'all know that a drill press will fit inside the back of a VW Jetta Wagon?

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Otay --- here are pictures!! BTW... the garage belongs to the previous owner of the drill press.

Mark

Drill Press.jpgPullys and Belts.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS