Delta 10" Hybrid Saw trouble

badger fan

Bruce
User
I have a Delta Hybrid table saw that I bought from a friend, which he bought new in 2006. Ir isa 1.75 hp motor set up for 240 volt, single phase, The brand on the motor says Delta. It has not been used heavily over the years. I am in the process of building a new work bench and I was using it with a Dado stack to cut the tenons on the stretchers. The saw has been working great, but half way through todays work, I notice the saw motor did not sound normal. It normally spins up to a distinctive high end noise, but it seemed to not get to full speed. I finished the cut I was on, but shut the saw off as it seemed to be slowing down. I checked to see if it was over headed and it did not seem to be. I checked the drive belt and it was tight. The blades and motor spin freely. I let it sit for an hour, tried again under no load, the blades seemed to be slowing down. I shut it down and not the task of trouble shooting what is wrong.
Several questions come to mind. 1) has anyone had a similar experience? 2. How should I go about trouble shooting? take the motor out and take it to a repair shop? 3. Any other suggestions, like where to take the motor to get some help? possible other causes to check before taking the motor out?

Thanks in advance for any help.
PS> I have been trying to get enough done to post pictures of my work as I know the rules, no pictures it did not happen. :)

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Make sure you have 240V present at the saw motor. I recently had a direct-burial feed from my house to my shop have an issue and my 240V went to 145V.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Have you checked to see if the pulleys have come loose on the shaft and the keyway is out?

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I like the 'it may not be getting 240V' theory. Could be the supply line or something in the saw's wiring or motor (contacts or coils).

-Mark

badger fan

Bruce
User
Thank you for these suggestions, I would not have thought of them. Will report back on findings. Much appreciated.

badger fan

Bruce
User
Update: after checking the suggestions above , I couldn’t find anything that might cause my previous day problems. So just before taking the motor out, I tried it one more time to see if it might spin up. And it did.
Therefore I can only assume that the motor was getting hot from frequent start stop activity. Maybe it didn’t run enough to cool.
At any rate, I am happy we have this behind me for now.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors