Delivery of 20”planer

drchristian

New User
David
Got a new Grizzly 20” planer on the way. I live on a dead end street and tractor trailer will not deliver here. I have in the past rented a drop bed trailer and picked up at the truck terminal but un-loading is not easy by myself at 72 years old. I called a moving company but they won’t touch it at 1000lbs. Has anyone every had one delivered before by a third party company? I live just north of Charlotte.

RickR

Rick
Senior User
Haven't done it myself since I moved to NC but in my job up north we had heavy/large equipment moved all the time. You will need to find a business that defines themselves as 'riggers'; those are the folks who move the heavy stuff.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Not an endorsement but if you go to the local U-Haul page and scout around they often have a list of loaders/unloader that might be of some help. I've never used any but I've thought about it.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
If you have a hitch on your vehicle, you can probably have the UPS freight driver take it down on the liftgate with the pallet jack and place it on the trailer. At least you can then get it to your garage or shop and then have the time figure it out from there. I just had a Grizzly delivery via UPS freight and the driver was an absolute pleasure to deal with.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I gravitated to using the services of a roll-back wrecker from a towing company. The driver would slide it down the bed right into the shop. Not all roll back drivers/owners will do this, but for many it is standard stuff. Cars are a lot of their business, but not all. One fellow I know that bought a roll-back and went into the towing business told me that he was surprised at first how many non-vehicle jobs he got

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Ok, ok. I know. No pics, didn't happen.
some examples first, a Crescent planer, second, a Newman planer, third a tenoner and shaper.
1 roll back 1 - 1.jpg1 roll back 2 - 1.jpg1 roll back 3 - 1.jpg

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Great topic as I've been thinking about this a lot lately for my future shop where I have planned on getting 20" planer, 12" jointer, big table saw, etc. I've driven a trailer to the UPS terminal dock and they'll load it onto your trailer via fork lift. Then back into the garage where you have a block & tackle rigged up in the rafters w/ extra weight support built in. Then moving into the shop on pipes to roll it in place. I also thought about building a gantry crane system to get it off the trailer and move into the shop but challenge there will be ceiling height and door width.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Chris, is that tractor going to a show? That has got to be the cleanest tractor I have ever seen that wasn't on the dealers lot.

Roy G

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Got a new Grizzly 20” planer on the way. I live on a dead end street and tractor trailer will not deliver here. I have in the past rented a drop bed trailer and picked up at the truck terminal but un-loading is not easy by myself at 72 years old. I called a moving company but they won’t touch it at 1000lbs. Has anyone every had one delivered before by a third party company? I live just north of Charlotte.

I live in Charlotte, so holler if you need some assistance

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
When I moved into a basement shop, we used a small trailer with a ramp and wenched the tools up onto bed. If you have a pallet jack you could accomplish the same thing. Then getting the tools off the trailer is the same process in reverse. Just make sure you are never on the downhill side of the load coming off the trailer. It could be done with one person, but two would be much safer. Neither person has to deal with any weight: just guiding the pallet jack. We just hooked the wench to the sides of the trailer.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I just had this thing delivered to my house, I had to get some bottle jacks and blocks to lifts the think off the pallets and then down onto the shop fox base I bought for it. It rolls well.

I dont have any ideas for how to get it to your house though. Suncoast rents some machines that may work if Uhaul or the tow truck wont work.

Good luck!

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
David, do you know exactly when its coming? Have a way to get it from the depot to your house?. Is it just going into the garage or easily accessible shop?.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
You could just get one of these Tele-handler they are smaller version of the normal construction extended forklift. The smallest one only holds 3500 lbs but they are easy to operate and normally about 300/day inc delivery
might get the rental company to work out a deal, it could run it right into your garage/shop and you would only need to move it a little bit to its final resting place. You want one of the smallest ones
jlg-6036-telehandler.jpg

jfynyson

Jeremy
User
Another thought if you're able to back up to your door is to rent a Penske truck w/ a lift gate (those handle ~ 2500 lbs). I just saw this on Bent's Woodworking new video where he's moving. This will be the route I go in the future if I travel to pick up machinery from another state. The smallest truck they offer w/ lift gate is a 16ft.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS