Degreaser on new bandsaw table?

dazart

New User
Steve
I bought a new bandsaw and the manual says to use wd40 to get the protective coating off the table, but I thought that was bad for wood because it contains silicone.

Looking for thoughts/suggestions.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
WD-40 doesn't contain silicone, so you should be fine with that. You could also use kerosene or even mineral spirits to get the gunk off, probably cheaper than WD-40.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
Is it just an oily coating or is it the old Cosmoline? If just some oil or wax then any solvent should work. For cosmoline break out the putty knife too. For dissolving oils or cosmoline remnants my sweet spot with solvents is naphtha. It smells better and evaporates faster than mineral spirits but unlike stronger solvents like acetone or lacquer thinner it doesn't dissolve my nitrile gloves.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
It varies as to what the makers put on the cast iron to deter rust during the crossing of the Pacific.
I used to see beeswax coatings., sort of like gooey bullet lube. Lacquer thinner was the only thing that was efficient in removing it. Had to be a little careful. The paint would remove easily with that stuff.
I'd put down a paper towel maybe half the size of a sheet of typing paper. Pour on a little lacquer thinner and let it soak for a minute or two. Wipe up the area with the wet paper towel and some dry towels. Repeat across the surface in need.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
WD-40 funny story / Interesting Story

The Military in WW-2 were looking for a water dispersent

Not surprising was after the 40th mix design ......... ergo WD-40 WD=Water Dispersent 4oth formula which is primarily fish oil and hydro-carbons as a solvent and propellant.

Turned out fish oil was best.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS