Deer antler

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhreed

New User
james
I got some deer antler some time ago and ruined it all. could not drill a straight hole etc. I just receive some more from long and far away. Although, not that much. Do not want to make a mess of this lot. Is there someone close to me, 50 miles, that could help an idiot learn how to properly cut and drill deer antler? I have never gotten to the turning part, so may need help there also. I have, I think, all the necessary tools, but just not the talent or experience. Can someone help?
James
p.s. I am talking about pens.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
not sure if I can help but we sure could give it a shot. I have some we could practice with. I am a bit far though..... let me know if ya wanna give it a shot.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I have some antler coming from Montana soon and I will need some help in learning how to bore and turn them also

sawduster

New User
Robert
first thing I do is go to the belt sander, hold my breath and sand 4 flat sides on the piece
....it's gravy after that :icon_thum
Turns really nice ....even nicer if you're handy with a skew , I wet sand with micro mesh and it doesn't even need a finish :icon_cheers

ss600r

New User
Steve
Check with any knife maker forums? I know some of those guys use them for knife handles sometimes.

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Antler is fun to turn.Once you get it drilled.Just make sure your tools are SHARP.When I drill it I try to get it started on center then freehand it.Feed it up on the bit instead of the bit down into.Try not to get it hot it will crack:BangHead:.And if you get too large of a piece all you will have is marrow when your finished turning.But if that happens slather it with CA and work it in.I use med. it has a longer dry time.If you don't get what you need here check out the IAP site.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
first thing I do is go to the belt sander, hold my breath and sand 4 flat sides on the piece
....it's gravy after that :icon_thum
Turns really nice ....even nicer if you're handy with a skew , I wet sand with micro mesh and it doesn't even need a finish :icon_cheers
Yep, hold your breath, it stinks bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS