Deer Antler Question(update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I tried to post this in the "Off Topic" forum but it would not let me - so I will post it here since it is related to turning somewhat - I was told today that it is illegal to make and sale anything that is made out of deer antler's in NC - I can make it and give it away but not sale it - ex: pens - anyone know of this law?:icon_scra

Last edited:

sawduster

New User
Robert
Re: Deer Antler Question

I haven't been able to substantiate that yet ....still looking :eusa_thin. Man , I do a lot of antler :swoon:
...hope it is not true :tinysmile_cry_t:

T

tmwassack

Greetings from Asheboro (by way of Moab, Ut)!
As a 20+ year hunter education instructor, I get this question quite frequently when I teach a HE class. And the answer is it is illegal to sell game (and some non-game) animal parts that are native to NC. The knife makers I know of that use antler for their handles purchase non-native stag antlers for their knives to avoid any potential conflict. Here's a link to the NCWRC website that deals with selling wildlife (and/or wildlife parts) - http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/Regs_Wildlife_Sales.htm.

Regards,
Tom Wassack

Rob

New User
Rob

Here's the exception.

The sale of game birds and game animals or parts is prohibited, except that processed products of lawfully taken game birds and animals other than those made from edible portions may be sold provided that no label or advertisement identifies the product as a game bird, game animal, or part thereof and provided further that the game bird or game animal was lawfully acquired and the product is not readily identifiable as a game bird or game animal or part thereof.

So deer antler may be sold if it's legally obtained and you don't identify it as the product of a game animal. Pens are processed products. I'm no lawyer, but that's the way I read it. I'll have to ask the wife.

PChristy

New User
Phillip

I just sent an e-mail to the NC Wildlife commisioner. Will let all of you know what he says when and if he replys

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Greetings from Asheboro (by way of Moab, Ut)!
As a 20+ year hunter education instructor, I get this question quite frequently when I teach a HE class. And the answer is it is illegal to sell game (and some non-game) animal parts that are native to NC. The knife makers I know of that use antler for their handles purchase non-native stag antlers for their knives to avoid any potential conflict. Here's a link to the NCWRC website that deals with selling wildlife (and or wildlife parts) - http://www.ncwildlife.org/Regs/Regs_Wildlife_Sales.htm.

Regards,
Tom Wassack

Tom, say if I get alot of deer antlers from out west that was either found "dropped" or legelly harvested by hunting said animal - then that would be illegal to make products out of them and then sell said product

Dudelive

New User
Dude

Tom, say if I get alot of deer antlers from out west that was either found "dropped" or legelly harvested by hunting said animal - then that would be illegal to make products out of them and then sell said product

Special Provisions for Sale: As stated above, the North Carolina Administrative Code also contains provisions pertinent to the sale of wildlife. 15A NCAC 10B .0118 "Sale of Wildlife" contains the following provisions:
The sale of game birds and game animals or parts is prohibited, except that processed products of lawfully taken game birds and animals other than those made from edible portions may be sold provided that no label or advertisement identifies the product as a game bird, game animal, or part thereof and provided further that the game bird or game animal was lawfully acquired and the product is not readily identifiable as a game bird or game animal or part thereof.

So according to that, they need to be acquired properly.....now define properly...with license?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member

Most of the NC native antler I have (haven't turned any yet) are from drops.

Philip, I think you're fine to sell the pens.

Dude...properly would be legally, ie. with license and in season.

From the excerpt that Rob posted I don't see any reason why you should worry about using native antlers.

sawduster

New User
Robert

But it sounds like to me you can't label them or say that they are deer antler :icon_scra
Am I reading that right ? :dontknow:

RandyJ

New User
Randy

But it sounds like to me you can't label them or say that they are deer antler :icon_scra
Am I reading that right ? :dontknow:

That's the way I understand the law, Robert. But then, I've been wrong before...most of my life, in fact!:gar-La;

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark

The way it waqs explained to me by Wildlife commission it is ok to sell your work(the labor you put into turning) but not to sell the antler its self. So its ok to sell your craftmans ship of the pen.
Thanks Mark

gator

George
Corporate Member

Other than 'strict letter-of-the-law', does it really matter for the average craftsman here? I would think that if it is truly illegal that it is meant for the big boys that have a manufacturing operation and sell to the mass market and do big-time advertising. Would they really come after the craftsman who sells a few (relatively speaking) a year at craft shows and to friends?

George

PChristy

New User
Phillip

Have not heard anything from the NC Wildlife commisioner - I am just going to make my pens and get on with it

boxxmaker

New User
Ken

All I can say is if its illegal there are a lot of folks a goin to the klinker if they ever crack down on us,er ah them:rotflm:

Scwood

New User
BigJoe

It is illegal to sell Antler from deer that have been killed here in South Carolina too.When I sell pens from antler I make it be known that the antler came from "naturally shed drops".Now I have had customers bring me antlers from small deer that was their kids first or second kill.I wont charge for those, but they usually buy another more expensive pen to help with the cost.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Got this e-mail today
"It is unlawful to buy or sell any whitetail deer antlers in any form in North
Carolina."

Dale Caveny
NCWRC
Division of Law Enforcement
1717 MSC
Raleigh, NC 27699
Office 919-707-0032