Deck Stripper & Sealer Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I think this falls into the woodworking finishes category ... :mrgreen:

The situation ...
- We have a 700 sq. ft. deck built of pressure treated boards. The deck was sealed with a waterproofing sealer last spring that had a red tint ... when I applied that I didn't realize that the deck still had a previous sealer on it. This caused some nasty blotches where the sealer/stain stuck and where it didn't ... so now I want to remove it completely and start over.

The question ...
- Do you know of any strong, proven deck strippers that can handle the waterproof sealers?
- Do you recommend any new waterproof sealers?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Jeremy,

I can't help on the stripper side but Flood makes a deck sealer that I think holds up better than Thompsons.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Not sure about the stripping... but make SURE you cover the surrounding bushes, shrubs, flowers, lawn with plastic tarps. That stuff will kill anything growing.

Ray

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have used the Flood deck stripper, is biodegradable (IIRC), and you can clean it with a power washer. If you don't have a power washer you have to get the scrub brush out. Overall, I was satisfied with it.

To Ray's point, covering shrubs and bushes is a must.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
most of the strippers I know work well on a stage, perhaps they could be made to work on a deck????:slap: :slap: :slap: Probably wouldn't have to cover the shrubs, either, just small children's eyes!:lol:

Sweetgum

New User
Brad Keisler
NCPete said:
most of the strippers I know work well on a stage, perhaps they could be made to work on a deck????:slap: :slap: :slap: Probably wouldn't have to cover the shrubs, either, just small children's eyes!:lol:
LOL:-D

I'd rent, buy, or borrow a powerwasher, if you don't have one. It will make the job 100X faster and easier.

I used No. 64 15-Minute Quik-Fix® Deck Finish Remover & Wood Resurfacer (Behr) to remove the semi-transparent oil based stain from my deck (some areas required two applications).

I used DECK PLUS® Semi-Transparent Deck, Fence & Siding Stain (Behr) to resurface. My wife like's Behr products, I like my tools, my wife makes these decisions :)

sapwood

New User
Roger
Gotta agree with the power washer. I used to rent a power washer, finally decided to purchase one. At 2500 psi or more, they are fully capable of removing stain and deck treatment from my deck. In fact, the biggest drawback is splintering/damaging of wood. You may have to do a little sanding, especially on rails.

Sapwood

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I've got to tell you ... I ended up using the Thompson's Maximum Strength Deck Stripper this past weekend to remove the sealant ... and OH BOY did it work like a charm. In fact so good, my deck started to smell like Lowe's treated lumber section!

:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum Five thumbs up to this product.

Now what to seal it with again ... :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors