Deck stain removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I started pressure washing my deck today. I wonder if there's any type of stain/finish remover to speed it along? At the rate I'm going I may be doing this until labor day:eek:

I have an opaque redwood stain on it and will probably re-stain the same color. I can't remember if it was water base or oil. Does it make a difference?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Why do you want to remove the stain that is there only to re-apply it? I would wash it very good using an oxygen based bleach like Oxy-Clean as it won't harm your landscaping around it. Once it is clean and dry, re-apply your stain. An opaque stain can only be so opaque. Any stain left after the washing will blend in with the new application.
MTCW,
Dave:)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If it's old and dry it won't matter. Waterbased paint won't stay on oil but oil over water is OK. After the oil dries out the waterbase is sticking to the wood pores, no oil to interfere.

If you are staining the same color you shouldn't need to remove all of the paint, just any loose bits and chips.

We try to refresh ours every year so it doesn't dry out completely.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I considered just " cleaning" it real well and staining over the old but as I said I couldn't remember what I had used 3 or 4 years ago. Also, there were several really worn and bare areas and also some places where the stain didn't adhere well. It really looked bad. I may have gone too far to just skim now.

Mike, I swear I'm trying hard to keep you from having to bail me out once again:embaresse You've spoiled me so badly I throw caution to the wind!:gar-Bi

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Also, there were several really worn and bare areas and also some places where the stain didn't adhere well. It really looked bad. I may have gone too far to just skim now.

I have the exact same problem and in the past week have been looking for ways to "fix" the ugliness. Two years ago I used a powerful stripper, then scrubbed, then pressure washed, then recoated only to make things worse. This time around I am going to probably rent a sander and sand back down to bare wood ... then make a better decision on protection (meaning either clear or opaque, but nothing in between)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Flood makes a waterbased deck stripper that works pretty well. I think I bought it at Lowes. Smells like orange juice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS