Deck Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
My front door when I got home today. Was a **** of a climb.

deck_41_.JPG

Not really, went through the garage.

Back deck is complete.

deck_39_.JPG

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rob, Ya better stick a piece of furniture or something in front of that door (on the inside), or you might forget and get a rude awakening in the morning!

richlife

New User
Rich
Just trying to think outside the box, Rob. Maybe you could consider building a deck under that door.

I don't want to get "way out there", but just sayin'....

Rich :mrgreen:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Rob,
Your deck is bigger than our apartment. :eek: I think I would've contracted that out too. :rotflm: Excellent progress so far. :icon_thum

Rob

New User
Rob
Deck is done

Deck is done. They have some minor stuff to resolve, and clean up to do, but for the most part it's finished with the exception of spraying the water proofing. Anyone want to help?

Front door

deck_42_.JPG

Lattice is up, keep the leaves from under the deck, made from 1"X3" pressure treated wood, should last longer then the Borg lattice.

deck_45_.JPG

deck_44_.JPG

Can't wait to get the grill out.

deck_46_.JPG

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Do not show this post to my wife:nah::eusa_pray. Great looking deck!!

Rob

New User
Rob
TWP, from my reading and the advice here, it was a toss up between that and Sikkens. And I was able to get it in Apex.

Rob

New User
Rob
I'll probably start that next weekend, I'll have to pressure wash it first. Going to spray most of it with a Wagner power sprayer.

Glennbear

Glenn
I'll probably start that next weekend, I'll have to pressure wash it first. Going to spray most of it with a Wagner power sprayer.

Your deck looks fantastic. :icon_thum I don't know if you have purchased the sprayer yet but based upon my experiences on my former house and the shop I erected here I have the following opinions of the Wagner sprayers:

1) Gun with attached cup for finish material (buzz gun) = Absolutely useless. :no:

2) Gun with hose attached to airless sprayer and reservoir tank = Great setup and easy to use. The gun is the same one used with much higher priced commercial sprayers and replacement parts are readily available. The only drawback I found was tool cleanup took longer than I anticipated but I was using latex paint which has more solids than the typical deck finish. I did purchase a longer hose to cut down on the number of times I had to move the tank. :wsmile:

Rob

New User
Rob
I already own a Wagner power Sprayer, if it doesn't work, the contractor recommended a pump yard sprayer. Doesn't have to be purty, just has to soak in.

Glennbear

Glenn
I already own a Wagner power Sprayer, if it doesn't work, the contractor recommended a pump yard sprayer. Doesn't have to be purty, just has to soak in.

If you end up going the pump sprayer route make sure the sprayer innards are compatible with your finish solvent. Some are not which is why the big box stores sell purposed pump sprayers for deck spraying. :wsmile:

Rob

New User
Rob
Spent all morning spraying TWP on the deck. 10 gallons gone and need 10 more to do the underside.

The pump sprayer from Lowe's for deck stains was the best, the power sprayer just wasted too much in the are, and I got better coverage from the pump sprayer. Well worth the $25 I spent on it.

richlife

New User
Rich
Good to know, Rob, thanks. Let's see, you needed 20 gallons, a normal deck needs maybe 2 or 3, and I'll probably need about 10 based on yours. More good to know. :wrolleyes:

Rich

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Spent all morning spraying TWP on the deck. 10 gallons gone and need 10 more to do the underside.

The pump sprayer from Lowe's for deck stains was the best, the power sprayer just wasted too much in the are, and I got better coverage from the pump sprayer. Well worth the $25 I spent on it.

How much did you spend on tape and paper for masking purposes? That was my biggest expense last time I did the sprayer technique.

Rob

New User
Rob
Tracy, there's nothing to mask, house is brick, the TWP won't hurt it.

Rich, I put it on pretty liberally. it's all soaked in now, but staying off the deck for 24 hours. Also it took a little less then 10 gallons to do the top, rails, and lattice. I'll use the other 10 for behind the lattice and the bottom of the deck where it's exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors