Deck Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Our new deck is going up pretty fast, going to look at what to protect it with soon. Staying away from Thompson's. Looking at a product called TWP that comes highly recommended. Curious as to what you folks use on new decks.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Rob, I don't think that you will find anything better than either TWP or Sikkens products. I've personally used TWP products and have been very satisfied with them, but also know a lot of "log cabin" folks that have had great results with Sikkens.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
The June issue of Consumer Reports contains their annual report on exterior paints and stains.

For a clear deck treatment they found Thompson's WaterSeal Advanced Waterproofer to be the best.

Of course, clean treatments are the shortest lived of all deck treatments. Semi-transparent and solid stains are much more long lasting. Sikkens Cetal SRD is their recommended semi-transparent stain and Behr Solid Color Deck, Fence & Siding Wood Stain is there choice for a solid stain.

I suggest you go to the local library and take a look at the article.

Rob

New User
Rob
I can get Sikken's locally, but only in 1 gal cans, TWP seems to be the better buy.

Howard, I will look up that article, thanks. I'm looking at semi transparent for the UV protection.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Our new deck is going up pretty fast, going to look at what to protect it with soon. Curious as to what you folks use on new decks.
Of all the options I have I ever seen, my first choice is still a ROOF! A porch beats the heck out of a deck, IMHO. Just once try sitting out on your deck during a down pour, and you will see what I mean.

richlife

New User
Rich
Of all the options I have I ever seen, my first choice is still a ROOF! A porch beats the heck out of a deck, IMHO. Just once try sitting out on your deck during a down pour, and you will see what I mean.

Now it's a strange thing... I built more than 1200 square feet of decking on our house. Last year, over one 8x8' section, I added poly panels so that I can grill OUT of the rain. So now that 64 sq ft and the 96 sq ft that is our small screened porch represent about 80% of all the usage of that deck space.

Understand, I LOVE my decks... just sayin'.

BTW, I plan to go with TWP for this summer's makeover.

Rich

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
Twp is the bomb! If its good enough for roof, it better be good enough for my deck. I stained mine yesterday, now i need to see how it took the rain last night!:BangHead:

Rob

New User
Rob
Twp is the bomb! If its good enough for roof, it better be good enough for my deck. I stained mine yesterday, now i need to see how it took the rain last night!:BangHead:

Dave, did you buy it local or mail order it?

gritz

New User
Robert
There are several types of TWP. Mike Glenn at http://www.mfgsealants.com/ will talk you through the best selection for your wood species and exposure.
I advertised TWP for Mike on Atlanta radio for over 15 years. I used the products as a contractor and as a homeowner and still believe they are the best.
I let him know I am recommending any NCWW members who need the product contact him.
He will absolutely treat you right, and may surprise you. If you aren't satisfied, let me know. He said he will be on vacation for the next two weeks. Bill fills in when he is not there.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
I used TWP when I redid my deck last summer, and can't believe the difference in it and the HD/Lowes stuff. Highly recommend the TWP. I bought mine at the local Sherwin Williams store on Hwy 55. They carried both gallon and 5 gallon pails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS