Decision made to downsize "shop" - upcoming "clean-out sale"

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
GM folks, after going on a tear to "rebuild" my previous shop after a recent move into a new home that I built - I've taken a step back and doing a little soul-searching and come to the conclusion, that at this point in my life, I've really just fallen into the trappings of the "hunt" (i.e. the acquisition and setup of new tooling, w/ no real plans - or time quite frankly, to do much with it, again, at THIS stage of my life). In the meantime, I've got a garage full of very nice - to mid/top shelf tools/ materials - many of which I snagged from you guys, that I'll be tripping over, and my boys will be crashing their bikes/ scooters into, ha for the next several years for no real practical purpose.

I'll be hanging onto the "basics" of course, and all of my framing/carpentry tools will be staying, but taking personal inventory, in the throws of building my business, I am at least 7-10 years out from a realistic expectation of any time to get into real "fine" woodworking or cabinetry, so I'll be passing that somewhat specialized equipment along.

I cringe somewhat at the prospect of throwing this stuff on Craigslist, or Marketplace, so would much prefer to start here, and as such, will be getting a master list together in the coming week/weeks. I will say, that there really is no "junk" in the pile here, and everything will be priced fairly to "cheap", as I snagged a good bit of it from members here in the past year for the same.

I'll be sticking around the forum of course, and will always play around w/ "small projects" I'm sure - and am confident that the time will come that I setup another shop, when I slow down a little, but w/ a growing international business, and 2 boys under 10, just time to be a bit more realistic w/ my hobby endeavors.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Heath
Realism is tough - but sounds like it is a good decision.
Sorry to hear that this is the case, as I found during that 'young boys phase' of my life that the few times I was able to get out into the shop, it was a respite; note that I was not running a business at that point either, so I do understand.
Happy to hear that you'll remain active here though.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Heath
Realism is tough - but sounds like it is a good decision.
Sorry to hear that this is the case, as I found during that 'young boys phase' of my life that the few times I was able to get out into the shop, it was a respite; note that I was not running a business at that point either, so I do understand.
Happy to hear that you'll remain active here though.
The time spent with those boys will render far more rewards than a hobby.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Got any lumber for sale? :D:D:D
Smart thinking Heath, not an easy decision for sure, but I think you'll be happier in the long run that way. Tools that sit around idle for 5-10 years will just rust, break down, no longer match your interests etc. And best of all, when you're ready again, you get to experience the thrill of the hunt all over again!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I will be waiting and watching. Cycling through my "lessor" tools to get the better.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Thanks guys,

@Bas, ha, maybe a stick or two....from one "recovering tool addict" to another, I hear you man. Solidarity brother, ha.

Ironically, this realization came from "fathering" the boys (7 and 10), while on vacation last week - as a brief parallel, they are obsessed w/ a certain toy/ action figure collection, (that like most, is stupid expensive per unit for what it is - and like most well marketed toys, there are a million different ones, and you can "collect them all"). I was explaining to them the trappings of materialism, and coaching them to be grateful for/ content with what they have, at least for awhile, vs. falling into always wanting the next big thing, etc. Then, post laying down this "fatherly wisdom", immediately went out on the back-porch, and to kill time dove into my obligatory craigslist/ FB scour to new woodworking tools, that'll just collect dust in my immediate possession vs. make it - and the irony there slapped me in the face, ha. Ultimately you could say I fathered myself, in one of those "what the H are you doing man?" moments - funny how that happens sometimes, but I imagine its pretty often when we drop our ego enough to see it. All positive stuff, and like I said, I wont be culling EVERYTHING, (I'd argue that a mobile cabinet saw takes up similar space to a portable jobsite saw for example, depending on fence setup), but a 12" jointer/ planer, drum sander, monster DP, major DC, and more accessories and lumber than I can name off-hand is completely lost on my immediate or short-mid terms needs, ha.

Thanks for the support/ validation guys!

HMH

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I will be on the lookout as my kids are out of the house now. I am in need of a drum sander and dust collection. I spend more time setting up / cleaning up than I do on the work itself (or so it feels some days). Enjoy your kids and maybe at some point they'll get into your hobbies and you can start collecting all over again.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS