Decimal, fraction or metric

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Just an informal query on preferences. We are so used to fractional but it can be a real pain. Been working more off decimal but was considering forcing myself to retrain to metric. Would have to recalibrate a "scooch" and an "***" to mm.

What are your preferences?

Enough thinking. Finished my second cup of coffee so off to the shop.

NCGrimbo

NCGrimbo
Corporate Member
While I agree that metric would be easier and maybe more accurate, I'm sticking with the US measurement system. I can't say that I've ever had an issue with the precision of this method. And all my measuring tools use the US measurement system so it would be costly to switch.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I have a lot of difficulty reading mm's. But I often resort to metric for things like figuring out spacing or dividing into even segments.

I just got this tape and my initial impression is it might be a game changer. But I'm holding off b/c I don't see where it can be calibrated, and I haven't checked it for accuracy yet.

dro.jpg

waitup

New User
Matt
Fractions here, but my intro to woodworking was framing and trim carpentry, so it's pretty ingrained for me.

robliles

Rob
Corporate Member
I still use Imperial measurments in most things I do in the shop. It is more of a habit and the fact that most if not all of my equipment is calibrated in those. However, I would love to see us go metric. I worked in research at NC State for several years after graduating (many, MANY, years ago). In that, everything was metric. I was amazed at how fast I got comfortable with metric once I was "forced" to use it. There is nothing more frustrating to me than to have a piece of equipment that has some metric connectors and some imperial.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
One point, decimal rulers are less common and more expensive. ( Though I still have an old engineers triangular scale, 10ths, 20ths, 30ths, 40ths, 50ths, 60ths) Same with combination squares. Metric is much more common.

Ever own a Saab" Inch on one end of a brake pipe, metric on the other? Then of course old British with Whitworth and British instrument.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Just an informal query on preferences. We are so used to fractional but it can be a real pain. Been working more off decimal but was considering forcing myself to retrain to metric. Would have to recalibrate a "scooch" and an "***" to mm.

What are your preferences?

Enough thinking. Finished my second cup of coffee so off to the shop.
I grew up using the metric system, but switched to imperial because all the lumber, woodworking plans, tools etc. here use imperial. Most of the time it's fine, but it's annoying when you need to add 17 15/16" and 8 5/32" and then divide it into 3 equal sections. With metric, you add 45.6cm and 20.7cm for a total of 66.3cm. Dividing that yields 22.1cm

Once you get used to it you know that if the 7/32 hole you drilled is too small the next size up is 15/64. From there it's 1/4. But it's much simpler of course is to go from 5.5mm to 6mm to 6.5mm.

It has nothing to do with precision. In woodworking, the smallest practical unit is ~1/64" which is just under half a millimeter. Both work fine. Once you're used to something it can be difficult to change, and the benefits may not outweigh the discomfort. But I may switch back to metric when I set up a new shop, just to cut down on the mental errors.

bainin

New User
bainin
The millimeter is roughly 1/25th of an inch so it sits between the 1/16 and 1/32". My difficulty arises in counting/marking stuff at the 1mm level by my old eye balls.

I'm with Mike D on this - getting away from measurement when I can.

I just ordered a set of Silvin setup blocks bar gauges (Imperial) , so I could have the basic dimensions on hand without resorting to eyeballing rulers and squares. I believe a lot of my variation in dimensioning comes
from me doing individual tool setups with rulers/micrometers etc and the error I add there.

I considered switching to metric - but didn't simply because most everything in my little shop is imperial. I dislike thinking in fractions. But when not in Rome, do as the not-Romans do !

b

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I love metric and use it if I am building custom millwork. In my shop I bounce back and forth between metric and inches with decimals - never fractions. But I work as a GC in construction and I am forced to use feet/inches and fractions. Clumsy system at best…. Was that 8-6 or 86??

JimD

Jim
Senior User
It is arbitrary which you use, they all work. Like most my age (65) I use fractional inches. But I also use a domino and those mortises are in mm. So I use that system some with that tool.

My biggest issue with metric is just that I have no mental image of what 380mm is (the length of a short FX air rifle barrel - just an example). I have to convert it to inches to be able to understand whether I think that is long or short. I know base cabinets are 36 inches off the floor. I don't know what that is in mm. That sort of thing. But if I had to use mm I can.

I agree completely that using stops and other systems rather than measuring, marking and cutting is better - when it is possible. I temporarily hung a gate to my dock this morning just so I could scribe it to the opening rather than measure the top and bottom opening so I could cut it to fit. The posts are not parallel. But the gate was pretty much made measuring, marking, and cutting (using stops for repetitive parts). For accurately positioning my rip fence or stops I like to use metal rulers.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Familiar/comfortable with both systems. I'm with Bas's thoughts and use English system because of lumber/woodworking measurements. I have begun to use gage blocks for tool setup. To each his own.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
To me it doesn't matter. I have to guess I use decimal mostly, because I'll convert metric or fraction to decimal in my head. Knowing 1-mm is .0393 and 1/32 is .03125, then it's just multiplying to understand where you are at lengthwise. I was trained to do this early on (in high school). If you get used to using all systems, you can pretty much guesstimate where you are relative to mm or imperial. One give away in mm that is accommodating imperial ... when they use .5mm e.g. 6.5mm or 1/4". You see those drill bits. But, day to day just a regular imperial measure, for the same as others, everything is sold that way in USA.
One random thing, I have been having to convert old plats from rods (16.5ft) and chains (66ft) to feet.
At least the degrees weren't using the gradient scale ... :oops: .......

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Of course, when combining imperial measurements like inch pounds to measure torque things become even more convoluted. I'm just happy my speedometer doesn't tell me I'm driving 1.42 furlongs per fortnight, that's difficult to figure out...

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Grew up with the metric system, but when in Rome do as the Romans do. If I have do calculations I occasionally go back to metric.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Like some others I use feet and inches for most things but when I need to find center or divide something I switch to metric

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors