Deals on Craftsman Mobile Base & Bench Top Tool Stand

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Well, I picked up those mobile bases. I wish I hadn't.

I assembled one per the instructions. The pieces looked nice and the assembly was easy. Without scrutinizing it too closely, I put it under my little Grizzly G1035 shaper and immediately noticed it was leaning. The base isn't level. The brakes also don't positively engage. One little shove and they're undone.

I've been known to misassemble things, so I carefully put together the second one and it has the same rake to it. There is no way to adjust for level and it seems stupid to have to shim your tool to get it level. It's enough of a PITA to just get it into the base by yourself; you shouldn't have to fart around with bits of plywood.

I guess I got what I paid for.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
OK. Good news.

The offending culprits were the front casters that swivel and lock. They were simply too tall for the way the base is constructed. I measured the stock casters and went to Home Depot to see if they had anything shorter. I found these Everbilt 3" locking casters that were pretty close to the measurement I needed. After a test fit, I needed only a couple washers as spacers to get the base perfectly level. A bonus is that it locks much better than the stock unit and the tires are grippier. The only downside is that it doesn't have the front-actuated brake. The side brakes on the HDs are harder to actuate, but I don't plan on rolling these around too much. If I have to bend down and turn these by hand, I'm OK with that.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS