Dealing with beetle damaged walnut

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpalmer

New User
Jon
I have recently received about 200 lb-ft of rough walnut from my in-laws farm. Some of the wood was stored for years in an old barn, and has powder-post and old-house borer beetle exit holes. I don't have any immediate plans for the wood, but obviously I want this dealt with properly before I store it myself.
The 2 main treatment methods I have read about are heat (kiln) and pesticide (boracare/timbor).

Does anyone have experience with the effectiveness of boracare?
Alternatively, does anyone know of a kiln in the Raleigh/Durham area that I could contract with?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Your pesticides will not kill any bugs are larva deep into the wood but might help with the surface. your best bet is going to be kiln drying with heat to get the core of the wood over 133 degrees. I'm fairly new to this site and I know there are a couple other people besides myself that have kilns but I'm not sure where they are geographically. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Chris

FlyingRon

Ron
Don't know about wood beetles, but we kill tobacco beetle larva by freezing the cigars. Of course, unless it's much colder than it is now or you've got access to a walk-in, that's probably not practical either.

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I have recently received about 200 lb-ft of rough walnut from my in-laws farm. Some of the wood was stored for years in an old barn, and has powder-post and old-house borer beetle exit holes. I don't have any immediate plans for the wood, but obviously I want this dealt with properly before I store it myself.
The 2 main treatment methods I have read about are heat (kiln) and pesticide (boracare/timbor).

Does anyone have experience with the effectiveness of boracare?
Alternatively, does anyone know of a kiln in the Raleigh/Durham area that I could contract with?

Thanks for any advice.

Contact Scott Smith (SCSmith42) at this site. He's located in New Hill, just southwest of Apex. Scott is a sawyer and has a number of kilns that could do the heat sterilization for you. You'd have to establish the cost and kiln schedule with him.

We specialize in Quarter and Rift sawn Oak Lumber, including wide boards! We ship nationwide.

pboro

New User
Bob
I had powder post beetles in some ash whish was on a table saw extension- boracide did the trick for me. I did put a coat of varnish over it too...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I believe a week or so in your house attic during the dog days of summer should accomplish the sterilization if you can't get it to a kiln.

jpalmer

New User
Jon
Just to complete this thread:
I took all of the wood to Scott Smith at QuarterSawOak, who sterilized it in his kiln. He has a great setup, and was very helpful to this newbie woodworker.

Jon

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jon, it was great to meet you and your in-laws. Thanks for the business, and best of success to you with your projects.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS