DC Vote in, Delta Wins! Gloat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Thanks again to all that chimed in, your vote counts!

After reading, crunching and then viewing, it all became clear that Delta was way to go!

This machine sparkles (5 yrs old, stored for 3). It looks like it was in a time capsule, wrinkles still in the bags, shiny hoses, no paint chips, etc.....All for just $200.00 TYVM RAL CL!

Delta_50-850_b.JPG

Delta_50-850_a.JPG

Delta_50-850_c.JPG

I happy WW'r. Oh, and BTW this was an early Christmas gift from the Boss O' Me. She wanted to make sure I can breathe and, keep house cleaner as well! Doesnt get better than that!

Thanks for looking!

Matt

Last edited:

timf67

New User
Tim
I didn't vote, but you made the right choice. That is the DC I have, and I haven't had any issues. I even rewired mine for 220V - not necessary but fun for a tinkerer like me! :gar-Bi

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Good lookin' unit there, Matt!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

You have to now be the King of Craigslist finds by now.:gar-La;:gar-La;

(Hope that you are tellin' the LOYL how much money you are saving her!!:wsmile:)

Did you add a baffle in your separator? You are gonna love that thing once you tear into some wood with that planer!

Wayne

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Congrats Matt, excellent gloat.

I didn't vote, but you made the right choice. That is the DC I have, and I haven't had any issues. I even rewired mine for 220V - not necessary but fun for a tinkerer like me! :gar-Bi

Great going, I see you've already put a chip seperator in-line. The only other thing I would suggest is a Wynn cartridge filter (http://www.wynnenv.com/cartridge_filters.htm).

Good luck

Dan C.

Good lookin' unit there, Matt!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

You have to now be the King of Craigslist finds by now.:gar-La;:gar-La;

(Hope that you are tellin' the LOYL how much money you are saving her!!:wsmile:)

Did you add a baffle in your separator? You are gonna love that thing once you tear into some wood with that planer!

Wayne

MtGomer: Thank you for the kind words1

Tim67: Very Cool! Now I have you as a reference in case I go 220V :icon_thum

DanCam: Yes, agreed, soon as I can find a "killer deal" on one!

Wayne: Thanks! I love me the CL, has saved me Big Bucks! I will wander over to check out the baffle, sounds intriguing! My 1hp mini, just couldnt keep up with the DW 735, but lookout!

Thanks!

Matt

bwat

New User
Bill
Great deal Matt. You have become quite the "deal" source. I'll call you next time I need to find a new tool!:gar-Bi

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Good going Matt. Your purchasing department has been real busy lately. What's next?

Bob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Wayne: ..... I will wander over to check out the baffle, sounds intriguing! Thanks!

Matt

Anytime Matt.

We can trace the baffle for a template and then just cut into a piece of MDF and some 3/4" dowel rod, assemble and you will notice a huge difference I am sure!:icon_thum

Wayne

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Great deal Matt. You have become quite the "deal" source. I'll call you next time I need to find a new tool!:gar-Bi

Good going Matt. Your purchasing department has been real busy lately. What's next?

Bob

Anytime Matt.

We can trace the baffle for a template and then just cut into a piece of MDF and some 3/4" dowel rod, assemble and you will notice a huge difference I am sure!:icon_thum

Wayne

BWAT: Thanks,Bill, anytime my friend, just give me the word!

BobbyG: Thanks! Seeing your shop and the Shop Crawl has really motivated me! The next "acquisition is the Triton Lumber Rack, on Sale now at Rockler. 25% off $59.99 with free ship and no tax! Pics to follow!

Canuck: Wayne, thanks, I may want to do early next week, depending on your sched. lemme know what works. I know with the Holidays it might be more difficult.

Thanks Again , its great to have your support and [STRIKE]enablement[/STRIKE] err. encouragement!:gar-Bi

Matt

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Matt,
I've got the same unit and would like to suggest two changes,go to 220 if you have it available and second,get rid of the Y on the front,remove the reducer,and go with 6" hose from the impellor up to the 4" fittiing at your seperator.I used stove fittings from Lowes and foil taped the seams to seal them off.It moves alot more air through a 6"hose.The other mod that I'm gonna do is to go for 1 micron felt bags custom made.If you don't have a cyclone then the pleated filter tends to end up with alot of crap that should not get to it,cleaning it constantly really tears them up.I knoe somebody who went to the felt oversize bags and the performance gain was sizeable.
Good Luck,
Greg

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
When you get tired of emptying that lower bag, upgrade your separator to a "Phil Thein" design. Nice score

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Matt,
I've got the same unit and would like to suggest two changes,go to 220 if you have it available and second,get rid of the Y on the front,remove the reducer,and go with 6" hose from the impellor up to the 4" fittiing at your seperator.I used stove fittings from Lowes and foil taped the seams to seal them off.It moves alot more air through a 6"hose.The other mod that I'm gonna do is to go for 1 micron felt bags custom made.If you don't have a cyclone then the pleated filter tends to end up with alot of crap that should not get to it,cleaning it constantly really tears them up.I knoe somebody who went to the felt oversize bags and the performance gain was sizeable.
Good Luck,
Greg

When you get tired of emptying that lower bag, upgrade your separator to a "Phil Thein" design. Nice score

Woodman: Thanks for that:icon_thum!
Junque: Bruce, thanks, this is going to be my next project(s).Appreciate it!:icon_thum

Matt

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Congrats on a really nice DC. I have that same unit, but an older one. I upgraded mine with the Delta canister up top, so the chore of emptying the dust bag is made easier. I now use the clear plastic bags; just loosen the band and tie the top, and then onto the dump. Slight increase in suction as well. :eusa_danc

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Congrats on a really nice DC. I have that same unit, but an older one. I upgraded mine with the Delta canister up top, so the chore of emptying the dust bag is made easier. I now use the clear plastic bags; just loosen the band and tie the top, and then onto the dump. Slight increase in suction as well. :eusa_danc

Mike,

Thanks for the insight! I plan on doing just that! Soon as I can replenish the old coffee can!

Matt

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Matt,

A couple of comments. To take Greg's recommendation further- as he said, take that wye off the the blower and start right out with a 6" connection. If you can modify that separator to 6" in and 6" out do it. By the way, you can put the separator on either side of the blower, your choice. Discharging outside is the best, but if you must have a filter, I wouldn't recommend using a cartridge filter without some additional separation, even if it is only a baffle in the separator. If not, the advantage you gain by having a better filter is quickly lost, because it will immediately start to clog, which reduces the flow, and reduces the ability of the DC to collect the maximum amount of dust (visible and more importantly invisible) at the source.

If at all possible with your eventual ducting configuration, if velocity can be maintain at 4000 FPM, stay 6" all the way from the DC to the machine. The physics of the issue are that flow through a 4" pipe (12.5 sq. in. cross section) is MUCH less that 6" pipe (28.3 sq. in. cross section). You never want to neck down a duct unless absolutely necessary to maintain velocity and that should only be at the farthest point from the blower. Also, try to keep the use of flex to a minimum.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Matt,

A couple of comments. To take Greg's recommendation further- as he said, take that wye off the the blower and start right out with a 6" connection. If you can modify that separator to 6" in and 6" out do it. By the way, you can put the separator on either side of the blower, your choice. Discharging outside is the best, but if you must have a filter, I wouldn't recommend using a cartridge filter without some additional separation, even if it is only a baffle in the separator. If not, the advantage you gain by having a better filter is quickly lost, because it will immediately start to clog, which reduces the flow, and reduces the ability of the DC to collect the maximum amount of dust (visible and more importantly invisible) at the source.

If at all possible with your eventual ducting configuration, if velocity can be maintain at 4000 FPM, stay 6" all the way from the DC to the machine. The physics of the issue are that flow through a 4" pipe (12.5 sq. in. cross section) is MUCH less that 6" pipe (28.3 sq. in. cross section). You never want to neck down a duct unless absolutely necessary to maintain velocity and that should only be at the farthest point from the blower. Also, try to keep the use of flex to a minimum.

Alan,
Thanks for your insight. After reviewing comments, I do intend on following your advice, as best as I can. I plan on making a Thein type separator, go to plastic bags, and Wynn Filter. The 6 inch pipe is now on my list of mods. I never knew their was so much to the art of collecting dust!

Thanks all for giving me the dirt on this subject:gar-Bi

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors