DC Remote Control problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MT native

New User
Jane
Last week I went to Ace Hardware and purchased the Heavy Duty Remote Control (the same one sold by ClearVue) http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1290269&clickid=body_rv_img. I set it up for my Delta 50-760 and it worked beautifully about 6 times. Now I cannot get the remote to turn the DC on again.
I have not dropped it and the battery is new. The keychain remote works because I can hear a 'click' noise in the module when the ON or OFF buttons are pressed. I tried changing the codes and that had no effect. I tried connecting to different machines and still no power transfer, just a clicking noise when the button was pressed. Any ideas how to fix this before I have to drive over an hour away to return it?
Jane

T

toolferone

That remote unit is rated at a little over 13 amps. You are pulling more then that with the dust collector, especially at start up.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think you fried it. I had the same one. Used it to drive my HF "2HP" DC. It worked great for a few weeks, then I made the mistake of turning it on and turning it off within 2 seconds. It then stopped working. I heard the click, but nothing happened. So I bought the Shop Fox and it's worked great ever since.

I did pick up another one of those remotes from Ace during a sale to power my shop vac. That's been working fine for 6 months. It just can't handle the amps for a DC.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Yup, likely fried the contacts or the wiring. The best way to do it is to use the remote to control a contactor relay like the one ClearVue sells, but any that you can find locally with a 120V coil will work. Since shipping can kill you try your local surplus place, junkyard, before Ebay, for cheaper ones. You can try your local HVAC place for salvaged contactors, but most HVAC contactor relays have 24V coils. I have gotten all my contactors off Ebay for less than ClearVue.

h230b%20Relay.jpg

MT native

New User
Jane
Bas,
Thanks for the heads up. I went to WS yesterday and bought the Shop Fox remote. You did not mention if you still had to add a Contactor relay or not. Did You/

Alan, If I do still need a contactor relay with the Shop Fox remote, I am no electrician but I am willing to wire it in myself, could you please send me either a pic of the set up or step instructions for a novice or both would be best.
Jane

M

McRabbet

Jane,

With the Shop Fox Remote, you should be able to control your Delta DC since it is 1-1/2 HP and the remote is rated at 1-1/2 HP, so technically you don;t need the contactor relay. However, there are advantage to adding it anyhow.

The contactor that Alan showed in his post is a Fasco brand H230B contactor relay that has a 120Volt coil that switches a pair of internal contacts rated at 30 continuous Amps (40 peak). It is normally used for 230 Volt motors (hence two contacts; I have one for my 5 HP cyclone that draws a little over 20 amps at 230 volts). They are not expensive (less than $20 including shipping from here) and if you added one in your situation, power from the remote control outlet would activate the coil on the contactor and close the contacts. A second power line to your Delta DC would have the hot wire (Black) split and the two ends connected to each side of one of the contact leads. Pressing the remote would energize the contactor coil and close that contact turning the dust collector motor on. The advantage of having the contactor is less stress on the remote control since the power draw of the contactor coil is less than one ampere at 110 volts. I can draw a schematic if you need one.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Bas,
Thanks for the heads up. I went to WS yesterday and bought the Shop Fox remote. You did not mention if you still had to add a Contactor relay or not. Did You/
No, I did not add a relay, and it's not necessary for this wattage. A relay is a better solution overall, since it can handle much larger loads, but it requires two components - the relay, and then something to activate the relay (like the little remote from Ace). I'm not too terrible with electrical stuff, but I wanted instant gratification so I went with the Shop Fox remote. If you plan to upgrade to a cyclone in the future, then you may need a relay after all. If not - cost wise, the Shop Fox is basically the same as the relay + remote.

MT native

New User
Jane
Alan and Bas,
I have purchased the Shop Fox but, not being an electrician, I do not know if I still need to get the Contactor Relay or not. If NO, then great I'm good to go but if YES then please direct me to some instructions how to install it (pictures are a plus).
Jane

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jane you definitely don't need the relay. Your DC is a 1 1/2 hp model and will run just fine on that Shop Fox remote you bought. A relay would be OVERKILL because you have already bought the right remote for the job.

Good Luck and enjoy your setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS