David Smith (Boardsmith)

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Wright Cremation & Funeral Service Obituary
David Woodson Smith was born on Friday, October 17, 1947 and passed away on Monday, April 13, 2020. David Woodson Smith was a resident of High Point, North Carolina at the time of passing.

David was a good friend to many here, he generously gave away excess wood from his business, the Boardsmith, a World renown cutting board maker. He hosted get togethers at his shop for NCWWs and led at least one workshop on butcher block board making. He sold his business and retired to take care of his wife who passed away in the last few years. He will be missed.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very sad news. We never met, but I enjoyed seeing his work, and I was impressed at both the quality and the volume he was able to produce.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
David was a great guy. Very generous in helping others. I have been to his shop several times.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very sad to hear, a good man taken to soon.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
The first year I joined, met him at a shop crawl, came away with a lot of knowledge and respect, plus a few cut offs. Was very saddened when he had to sell his business.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As Mike mentioned, David's wife passed away recently after a long battle w/ dementia. Based on his Facebook postings, he seemed to be doing okay and getting on w/ his life. After he sold his business, he came to visit several times to work on small projects, mostly for the Land Cruiser he was lovingly restoring.

I will miss David.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
When I get to Heaven, I hope that I will be assigned to the carpenter shop; I know it will be filled by truly wonderful woodworkers like David.
Thank you for posting this Mike.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
Talked with David about 2 weeks ago. He was interested in doing some part time courier work with my company. Because of the virus, medical deliveries had slowed and I let him know I would be back in touch with him the first of May. So sorry to hear of his passing.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Although I only met and did business with David a few times, I considered him a true friend. Sorry hear of his passing.

Charley

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Was sad to hear this. David was always a good person and a greatsource of knowledge for this site

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
My wife just finished re-oiling our cutting board yesterday. David shared his materials ,methods and machines with several NCWW members in a workshop several years ago. David was a great guy who sincerely liked people.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS