Dave O's Butterflies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
A while back, DaveO posted about the butterflies and flowers he was cutting out for Reins From Above Butterfly garden. I have been painting away on them. I tried to find his old post and add to it but after going though 20 pages I gave up! Anyway, here is what they look like with paint. He will apply a sealant to hopefully weatherproof them and I will re-post their final destination. They have been a lot of fun to paint. I also am posting the stack of flowers waiting for me to paint.

Ava_s_Halloween_Pics_from_School_07_113.jpg
Ava_s_Halloween_Pics_from_School_07_112.jpg

Ava_s_Halloween_Pics_from_School_07_111.jpg
Ava_s_Halloween_Pics_from_School_07_110.jpg

Butterfly_pics_009_Small_.jpg
Butterfly_pics_008_Small_.jpg
Ava_s_Halloween_Pics_from_School_07_114.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Those are some great looking butterflies! Love the detail on the eyes.
For those interested, here is a link to the original post. You're right, with DaveO, it's hard to find his previous posts...because he writes so many of them! Talk about trying to find a cutoff in the scrap bin...

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Those are really beautifully done. Have you ever thought of painting harpsichord soundboards - a lot of flowers and bugs? I'm in awe of anyone who paints well - you included. Great work.

Ernie

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
Thanks Clay! When I finish these I Dave said he would teach me how to use his scrollsaw and jigsaw. Plus over Christmas break my dad showed me how to carve and sent me home with some stuff my grandpa never finished before he died. SO maybe I will have some woodworking stuff to post. AND then there is the woodburning. Too many ideas, too little time.

AudreyO

New User
AudreyO
Thanks Bas! I tried to find his old post I really did. :tinysmile_cry_t: During the process I realized I should take away some of Dave's computer time.:gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Bas! I tried to find his old post I really did. :tinysmile_cry_t: During the process I realized I should take away some of Dave's computer time.:gar-La;

What??? then you will have to talk to me about woodworking...and you know how boring that can be :gar-La;:gar-La;

Boo seriously you have turned my scrap cut-out into works of art. They would be nothing but Radia Pine ply without you.
You ROCK..girl!!!!

Dave:)

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those sre really super. I am working on a couple more for you guys.

My offer still stands on teaching you to scroll. I know I can do a better job then Dave on that.:gar-Bi

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Looks great Audrey:icon_thum - Can't wait to see them all together at there final dsatination

Woodchuck

New User
Chuck
WOW!!! Those look great. Maybe a little too late, but after seeing DaveO's original thread and saw that he was using "regular" plywood, I have a suggestion for future use and some of you may already use this product in your cabinet making for shelving, etc. Having been in the sign trade for years, I would suggest that you use a product called Dura-Ply (Trade Name). It's a MDO,(medium density overlay). It has a exterior plywood core and has a kraft paper laminate surface which is treated and sealed. This gives you an extra smooth surface for painting/lettering. You can get it in 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4", good one side or both. I always used G2S for extra sealing. Just cut out your pattern, caulk any voids in the edges, seal the edges with a good extreior primer, two coats of latex primer on the surface and your good to go. I can show you signs that have been exposed to the elements for over 15 years that are still in good condition using this product. It's a little pricey but well worth the cost considering it's longivity. You won't find it at Lowe's or HD. Contact your local sign shop and see where they get theirs or have them order/sell you a sheet. Just a suggestion for future reference.

Chuck

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Really nice job, AO. BUT, I was a little disappointed that there is no "peach" butterfly!!

:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS