Daughter's dresser - complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I sprayed the Target water based shellac, and like David said, it is different. I screwed up and didn't have enough light and ended up having a few runs. Fortunately, it sanded out very easily and I was able to top coat it the next night. I ended up spraying 7 coats of Target Coatings USL satin water based lacquer. IMO, the stuff is like a dream come true using HVLP. After that, put on a coat of wax and buffed it out. Chuck you were right, the picture doesn't do it justice, but the cherry has a lot of figure to it. So here it is, I take it in the house tomorrow.
Dresser_finished.JPG

For the door hinges, I used Blum 107 degree self closing inset hinges. They worked extremely well, but it is a bit of a pain converting from millimeters to inches in laying them out.

door_hinge.JPG

For the drawers themselves, I used little nylon corner glides and an oak runner.
runner-glides.JPG

Then cut a notch in the drawer back.
drawer_notch.JPG

I can't say that I am quite happy with this, and will probably do something different next time around. I like the nylon corner glides as they make the drawer slide smooth, but for a runner, I think I am going to make dovetail slides on my next project. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know as I am open to any and all.

All comments including critiques are appreciated.

Monty

New User
Monty
The piece turned out really nice! It was fun watching this project go from conception to completion - thanks for sharing the process with us. I know it will be appreciated!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Travis,
If it looks that good in the shop, it's going to look great in the bedroom :icon_thum
A fine looking piece of furniture :cool:

Roger

DavidF

New User
David
I sprayed the Target water based shellac, and like David said, it is different. I screwed up and didn't have enough light and ended up having a few runs. Fortunately, it sanded out very easily and I was able to top coat it the next night. I ended up spraying 7 coats of Target Coatings USL satin water based lacquer. IMO, the stuff is like a dream come true using HVLP. After that, put on a coat of wax and buffed it out. Chuck you were right, the picture doesn't do it justice, but the cherry has a lot of figure to it. So here it is, I take it in the house tomorrow.

For the door hinges, I used Blum 107 degree self closing inset hinges. They worked extremely well, but it is a bit of a pain converting from millimeters to inches in laying them out.

For the drawers themselves, I used little nylon corner glides and an oak runner.

Then cut a notch in the drawer back.

I can't say that I am quite happy with this, and will probably do something different next time around. I like the nylon corner glides as they make the drawer slide smooth, but for a runner, I think I am going to make dovetail slides on my next project. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know as I am open to any and all.

All comments including critiques are appreciated.

That looks really nice Travis:eusa_clap 7 coats! blimey mate! I did one of shellac and 3 of the finish. I would be interested in seeing what it looks loke with the extra. Did you just sand before the final coat?

After much deliberation and finding out that blum don't make a fully concealed drawer slide short enough for my bedside cabs, I have decided to go with side hung drawers. Oak drawer sides with 6mm deep side runners in a dado. I was going to do a staright "piston" fit for the top drwaer as it's only 4" deep x 12 wide, but the lower one has 12" high sides and I thought that would be tricky to get flat especially having to run them on a 6" jointer and then reglue. So I was going for side hung on that one anyway and decided to make them both the same.

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
The finished product looks great, Travis! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks for including the detail pic of your hinges. I'm gonna try them out very soon.

Chuck

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Wow Travis :icon_thum :icon_thum I like the finished project :eusa_clap :eusa_clap Thanks for sharing all of you trials an tribulations from this :)

Last edited:

SSuther

New User
Stan
Beautiful! I'm working on a small walnut chest, and considering all the goofs I've had to deal with:BangHead: , I'm really impressed with something of this size and complexity.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Beautiful work. Gives folks like me something to strive for.
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS