Daughters bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkW

New User
Mark
Well I finally got a start on my daughters bedroom set. Started with the bed, but I intend to build the set including 2 nightstands and a dresser which I will be making next. I still have not decided on the finish, I am pulling for a natural finish, but the wife and daughter want a darker one, I'm sure you know who will win that.

The intent is for the posts to be capped with a marble square and also the tops of the dresser and nightstands to be marble, but I have not found a source for them yet. Hopefully I can find something soon.

I will let you guess the wood since it seems not to be used for furniture much. I was a bit hard to work, but has some nice grain. I got the wood from Kyle and think I cleaned him out, though I bet he has more by now.

As always, thanks for looking.

Last edited:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That's beautiful. I love the bookmatched panels and the moldings and the carvings and the grain!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

No clue about the wood.

Chuck

dozer

Mike
Wow great looking bed. That wood will be awesome once you get it finished. To make it a little darker just rub it down with a little danish oil and put your finish on over it.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Oh yeah, that looks great! So many things to like about this piece :icon_thum
And one more, "Did you do the carving"???

Roger

tonyps

New User
Tony
Awesome work, Mark!!! Great details... Speaking of which, give up the details.....:eusa_thin

Tony ...

MarkW

New User
Mark
The carvings I did not do. I have started learning to carve and bought a few tools but I was not able to turn out anything satisfactory.I ended up buying the carvings as a concession to time. I did mount them all where I can replace them if/when my carving comes. (unfortunately I am not a very artistic person and carving seems to require it).

The wood is Ash. I was originally looking for Poplar since the original plan was a paint finish. Kyle did not have enough of it so I bought what he did have in quantity. I am glad I did not get the poplar now since the paint plan changed almost as soon as I got home with the wood.

It turned out to be a very pretty wood and alot darker than I'd thought. It was somewhat brittle when working it and tended to splinter at sharp edges so I had to be careful until I got the edges rounded some. It seemed to have some patterns inside that almost looked like worm tracks though there was no actual feeling of raised or lowered areas. I hope this effect will come out with the finish. The wood also seemed to have a tight grain that I hope to get a mirror-like finish from without alot of grain filling, but I guess we will see for that part. It is supposed to be near 80 on Friday here so I hope to get it finished this weekend. I'll post the results soon.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Mark that is some really beautiful work. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I know your daughter will be really proud of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS