Daughter Builds Wooden Tool Tote

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Enjoying some time with my 9-year old daughter in the shop this past week as she decided she wanted to build a wooden toolbox "just like Daddy has" (which was one of my first woodworking projects in 9th grade high school shop class). Good stuff, love this girl~

Photo_Dec_28_7_21_02_PM.png

Photo_Dec_28_7_36_57_PM.png

Photo_Dec_28_7_31_05_PM.png

Photo_Dec_28_7_51_37_PM.png

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
IMG_7697.jpg

My grandson finishing up a similar project as part of his Christmas.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Thats great to see the kids in the shop learning from experts

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Jeremy I have a similar tote I built with supervision from my dad built about the same age. Priceless in memory value alone!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Showing your children how much fun they can have making things has long term benefits beyond the obvious. When the teenage years come around and they are still making a few things from time to time, the mental and physical impairments from self-indulgences will be an unacceptable hinderance.

My sons were started out early and they still make things to this day. Both have commented that being in the shop or making things was an activity they would turn to when they were in dark places in their lives.

Below is a shot of my oldest of my two sons I took when he was 2 years 11 months old. He's 41 now.

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
I have a son that is about 2 years 9 months and I can say that there is NO way He is ready to be in a shop using power tools. We still worry about him stabbing himself with his own fork. LOL. But I do look forward to the day I can take him in and safely start to show him the ways of the dark side. Thanks for sharing....

In response to Bob Vaughan's great picture!

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
It wasn't until they were little older that they had the motor controls to follow a line with moderate success.
Scroll saws are great for kids because the worse that can happen is that a finger gets hamburgered a little.
The risk of losing shop privileges with dad for a safety gaff is usually enough to keep a youngster alert.
Jeremy's daughter above is at a good age for significant projects. For boys, its usually a little older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS