Danville VA CL - Grizzly 12" jointer (planer) - $1500 (Vernon Hill)

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
not mine, not endorsing
decent price on a 12" jointer? even though it is (mis)labeled as a planer

Henry

Grizzly 12" planer

Grizzly 12" planer - $1500 (Vernon Hill)
image 1 of 2

condition: good
make / manufacturer: Grizzly G4178
model name / number: G4178
size / dimensions: 72x36x18
Grizzly 12" planer
model G4178 some surface rust on the frame but in great shape
220v single phase

bbrown

Bill
User
I'm looking at it. But how does one move something like this - it weighs 950 lbs. I'd need to get it up steps!

bbrown

Bill
User
Would love to have a 12 incher, but the logistics are daunting. Not sure I want back surgery in my future.
Seriously, how does one move this thing? An engine hoist would work to lift it in one place, but moving it up steps??
Would a shop floor with 16 inch joists hold 950 lb's safely?

--bb

Mike K

Mike
Corporate Member
Yes your floor will support it. I have a 14 in Jointer Planer that weighs 1000 lbs on a wood floor over 16 in joists. A shop crane is how I moved it. Up and down steps is another thing.

Virizi

New User
Kyle
Moved my 16” Oliver (over 2000) using my little utility trailer, a harbor freight winch, floor jack and a custom homemade dolly! I had all the stuff laying around for that. Definitely not for stairs!

Attachments

• B5433DB8-AA17-4C3A-A538-8D9101588EBD.jpeg
    B5433DB8-AA17-4C3A-A538-8D9101588EBD.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 199
  • A6067A17-7C19-458A-9C0C-B9CA64F849A5.jpeg
    A6067A17-7C19-458A-9C0C-B9CA64F849A5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 191
  • 5EE0A601-BDF0-45F5-B993-2E9DB0E8894F.jpeg
    5EE0A601-BDF0-45F5-B993-2E9DB0E8894F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 183
Last edited:

LocoWoodWork

Steve
Corporate Member
Moved my 16” Oliver (over 2000) using my little utility trailer, a harbor freight winch, floor jack and a custom homemade dolly! I had all the stuff laying around for that. Definitely not for stairs!
I'm experiencing extreme jointer envy!:D

tijmt

Jared
User
@Virizi I love that Oliver. Some day I am going to grab something like that! (Then I will have to figure out how to get it up three steps in my shop :( )

RedBeard

Burns
Corporate Member
I would be wary about putting it over a wood floor system without you taking a closer look at it. It’s about more than just the size of joist. You have to consider the spacing between them, how long is the span between bearing locations, if they are TJIs the amount of weight they can handle varies on which model. And just because you get it up there today and seems ok doesn’t mean that it won’t cause sagging or other structural concerns down the road. If I were in the market for something like that I wouldn’t let the floor system stop me from buying but I’ve built too many houses for people and seen too much go wrong. They didn’t think a full size pool table, king size water bed, or fully equipped weight room could possibly be something that would cause a support issue.

Virizi

New User
Kyle
@Virizi I love that Oliver. Some day I am going to grab something like that! (Then I will have to figure out how to get it up three steps in my shop :( )
Thanks. I love it! It’s heavy, but not impossible. You can also take the bases, motor, etc off to make much lighter. At the expense of additional setup.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS