Danish Modern Desk Design help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
I need some advice. I have been looking for a design to copy for a desk I want to make. I found this desk on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230264298433 and wanted to see what it would take to make a plan for this. I have NO experience in drawing up plans, but I think plan for this are necessary.

Also, I can't afford teak, what wood would you use? I'd like to use different color woods like Purpleheart or even dye up some Maple. Okay, now I'm really gettin' weird!
Hey Bas, help me out here!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Anna, that doesn't look too difficult to draw your own plans for. The basic dimensions are given - Length 64" (not crucial), Width 29", and 38" with the shelf unit flipped back (that makes the shelf unit 9" deep), and 29" tall (again not crucial, adjust to your taste/needs). I would guess that the drawers on top shelving are around 6" tall or a litttle less
The consruction could be simple butt joints with biscuits for reinforcement. I would definitely use M&T jonts on the legs and stretchers. The most difficult part would be the attachment of the top to the legs frame, and allowing for movement. That said you could very easily make the major parts out of Plywood and not have to worry about that.
I would think that stained or dye Ash might give you a similar look. The grain is similar, and colored right, no one but you would know.

Dave:)

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I'm pretty sure that desk is using veneer. The endgrain doesn't match the face grain on the top of the desk. Pretty much the same as using plywood imo. Just edgeband with some cool hardwood. I like the design but everyone probably knows I like 'modern'. Oh and this thing would seem to be simple to just jot down some basic dimensions. Just a couple of boxes really.

DavidF

New User
David
That looks like a perfect candidate for lipped plywood. Easy construction and no movement to worry about. I DaveO has the dims just about right. I think it would look great in Ash or Maple

Sharp Blade

New User
Anna-Catherine
Yeah, ply is going to be it. I can band it or edge it with a contrasting wood. I slept on it and I think I would like to "my" version of this desk to have a contrasting wood. I e-mailed the seller and he told me the drawers are butt jointed not dovetailed, which I think is how the Danish designers did their drawers. Not sure though.

DavidF

New User
David
Yeah, ply is going to be it. I can band it or edge it with a contrasting wood. I slept on it and I think I would like to "my" version of this desk to have a contrasting wood. I e-mailed the seller and he told me the drawers are butt jointed not dovetailed, which I think is how the Danish designers did their drawers. Not sure though.

Quite often they will do a "French Dovetail" IE a sliding dovetail with entry from the bottom of the drawer front so as not to show on the top. Perfect when the sides are inset from the edges for drawer slides and very easy to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS