Danish Modern Bench

BKHam

Bradley
User
i am posting this in the hand tools area but this is a project that uses both. all surfaces are finished using hand tools only. i am going to weave a seat so i'll post a picture later showing that....if it comes out good.

but in the meantime...i did figure out how to hand plane some wavy grain african mahogany. even the end grain of the top of the legs has tiny facets from being planed.

i used my horizontal mortiser to cut the joinery. i setup the full mortise and then used spacer blocks to limit the travel and
create variable depth and offset mortising you see. i used floating tenons so i could use my original full depth, full width setting on the stretchers too. all setup using center lines.

i'm using tried and true linseed oil to finish.

can i say this...using hand planes and finishing with simple oil is pretty dang sweet. no dust. no mask. no hearing protection. the oil is so simple. not for every project but sometimes its sweet. basically did this over the holidays and it went pretty quick. on projects where the parts are less than the width of my #4 1/2 or #7....pretty nice to just plane.

used 1/8 router bit to round everything off. then used high angle block plane to remove the machine marks.

the round overs are inconsistent, i'm sure there are plane tracks. facets on the end grain. no factories were harmed making this product.
IMG_20200106_153513_741.jpg
20200101_102715.jpg
IMG_20200106_153513_741.jpg
20191231_103641.jpg
20191231_103650.jpg
20191231_103710.jpg

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice work. I'm glad you are enjoying the use of hand tools to do much of the work.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS