Danish Cord Bench

BKHam

Bradley
User
i posted on this earlier....i think. i couldn't find it. but here is my latest project. African mahogany. all cut from a 8/4 board so the parts are beefy.

first project using any weaving. this is a laced danish paper cord.

joinery made using my homemade horizontal mortiser. on the corners where where two rails come together, i used spacer blocks / limiters on to create offset tenons. they have a ~`1/2 stub tenon and then another inch of long tenon.

all surfaces finished using hand tools. finished with tried and true linseed oil. there are facets visible especially on the end grain. but they are clean cuts from a sharp plane. wouldn't do it for every project but felt good on this one.

DSC00421.JPG
DSC00418.JPG
DSC00423.JPG
DSC00422.JPG
IMG_20200106_153513_741.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Wow, nicely done. Love the subtle designs elements in there - tops of the posts and the arched stretcher.
Great clear photography too.
(EDIT - I searched and I found your post with details.) Have you posted details of your horizontal mortiser? I am interested in seeing more about how you've done that.

Last edited:

BKHam

Bradley
User
Wow, nicely done. Love the subtle designs elements in there - tops of the posts and the arched stretcher.
Great clear photography too.
(EDIT - I searched and I found your post with details.) Have you posted details of your horizontal mortiser? I am interested in seeing more about how you've done that.

i sure did.

the way that i did the stub and offset tenons was to set my limiters (you can see them on the side and back of the carriage) to the full depth and full width mortise. then i took a spacer block and limited the depth, cut that stub tenon mortise. then i removed the depth spacer and added a different sized spacer to limit the left to right travel, depending on what i was cutting.

then i just marked, remarked, and moved slowly. it was a fun build. all of it could have been done with a router and a fence but i get no joy from that.

BKHam

Bradley
User
i sure did.

the way that i did the stub and offset tenons was to set my limiters (you can see them on the side and back of the carriage) to the full depth and full width mortise. then i took a spacer block and limited the depth, cut that stub tenon mortise. then i removed the depth spacer and added a different sized spacer to limit the left to right travel, depending on what i was cutting.

then i just marked, remarked, and moved slowly. it was a fun build. all of it could have been done with a router and a fence but i get no joy from that.

thanks for the kind words by the way. on the photos....i used a real camera for once. the light in that bedroom was good too. the curve of the front of the leg matches the curve on the top of the leg. i thought it was a cool detail.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Bradley that is truly beautiful. My grandfather was a master at caning and weaving, I'd put you in the same class as him.

BKHam

Bradley
User
I'd be interested in how you did the weaving.
Very nice project.

There is some info on youtube but this helped:

this is the behind the paywall at FWW but i also used it:

BKHam

Bradley
User
Bradley that is truly beautiful. My grandfather was a master at caning and weaving, I'd put you in the same class as him.

i did a test "bench". a footstool size bench made of scrap pine put together with screws. after you do it for a while you start to see that there are nuances to getting to the cord to lay down flat and not cross over. that may not mean much but what i mean to say is...far from a high class weaver and could do much better if i did another project. you just have to try it.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Very beautiful, just showed the wife and right away asked me to do something similar... last time i ever invite her to look.

well if you make one don't do what i did and put the nicest stretchers at the top. i was just doing what i normally do. duh....the ones at the top got covered with cord.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS