Dang, y'all know how to make a guy feel special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I randomly got online tonight and searched for myself on the site. I see that my name is still be thrown around like peach paint on my shop floor. I feel very honored that I am attributed to this sites great success. I've had some major issues come up in my life, a few that I am still battling. But I have a new project, part woodworking, part electrical, part automotive. And I have a new vigor for life.
My project is converting a 2002 Dodge 3500 Van with a 24-30" hightop conversion into a home that I can live in while traveling to the West Coast for a change of scenery and mind. I bought it with 46K miles for $4000, so far I have put $1,200 into repairs (old plastic and rubber don't last forever) the engine, tranny, frame, and body are solid. I've just replaced the entire front brake system and will start on the rear tomorrow. It has a 5.9 L (360cid) engine, running 4:10 gears in a Dana 60 rear end. The spare tire has never been used and is in perfect shape. It did come with a 600# wheelchair lift out of the side door. If anyone could use something like that for it's intended purpose or a killer shop lift let me know, I'll let you have it for the help in removing it.
I plan to put solar on the roof, and cabinetry with sink, stove, fridge, a convertible bed to a couch, and a Loo.
So I might have to start picking some of the fine minds around here again. I still have enough tools to do all the woodworking I need, I hope...
I'm still unemployed and always looking for a suitable job. But if not I will go live in a van by the riverside and be free, poor but rich in freedom, anybody want to buy a burrito we got Vegan and Veggie...

DaveO

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome back. I offer all the help I can give. I am sending my contact info via PM. I am fairly good at finding stuff you might need.
My youngest son lives in the Yosemite area and my oldest is heading out to help him recover from the Ferguson fire. You guys should talk

Again welcome back and all the best.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
wow! now there's a blast from the past.:icon_cheers Glad to hear your still above ground Dave. don't be a stranger my friend. I truly hope life starts treating you better soon.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
You will always have a home with us here at NCWW, Dave. Every tree starts as a seedling, the mighty grow slow and stay strong, good luck on your journey ahead. Jim

gritz

New User
Robert
There are some interesting videos on Y'allTube of folks who live full time and quite comfortably in their vans. My wife and I toured the US in one in the early 70's. It's a great way to travel.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Good to hear from you Dave -- as you well know, life goes on and we must deal with all the bumps in the road as best we can. Sounds like you are well on your way with a new phase and we wish you well.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Great to hear from you. Kind of miss the days of peach paint and penguins. Good luck to you in your present and future quests.

Go

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Glad to hear you're still kicking up a little dust Dave. Just remember, once you get bit by the saw dust bug, you'll never be able to get it out of your system.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi DaveO

So good to hear from you and good luck on your cross country adventure!

Must be old home week. David F. stopped by earlier this week. A few of us are still around from the early days. Certainly miss your woodworking insight and humor round here this last little while. You always kept us on our toes and on the fun side of our woodworking adventures.

(I still have that first pen that you helped me turn over in your shop …. which seems to been forever ago now!)

Don't be a stranger and keep us apprised of your cross country adventure.

Keep Well.

Wayne

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Great to see you back on here, DaveO! It's also nice to see some other familiar names from the early days. Good times.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks for all the "welcome backs" and other comments. I am seriously looking for someone who might want this wheel chair lift. https://www.braunability.com/millennium-wheelchair-lift/ That is obviously newer than mine, but mine has seen little use and is available for free with the safe removal from the van. You can grind down bolts, Oxy torch cut those stubborn pieces. I just don't have those tools, and I think this might be more than a one person job.
Think of the materials lift you could make...lift 600# bowl blanks with a push of the button. Got to get machinery or equipment up a few steps and just don't have that kind of muscle, well this lift could solve that. You see where I'm going with this...endless possibilitys all yours for a little wrench work. I'll supply the beers!

ste6168

New User
Mike
Hey Dave. Wasn't around much the last time you were here, but I bought your Drill Press and a few clamps from you, still got it in the shop.

I built out a Ford E350 in Fed/March of last year, my brother and his GF did a cross country trip, lived in it for about 3.5 months. They now liv in LA and use it for weekend camping trips and such. No solar or any power really, pulled an inverter into the back to charge stuff on-the-go, and installed a Yeti cooler on drawer slides for food. Was a fun project, wish I had more time to work on it though, was very rushed. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

Here is a link to some pictures of their van: https://www.facebook.com/pg/steinwoodworks/photos/?tab=album&album_id=2005232916375095

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hey Mike, that van build is really sweet. It is exactly what I am planning on doing to mine. I only hope mine turns out as well as yours did, I'll pick your brain if I get stumped. Thanks, DaveO

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dave, when you are sitting by the river, eating deviled eggs made with horse radish, don't forget to wear your whitie tighties. It's good to hear from you. Keep us informed on your travels. Bruce

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Dave, were your ears burning? FWIW, I meant what I said, you are a big part of what made this site a success.

Welcome back, it’s great to see a new post from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS