Dang Blasted Sawmill

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff...

I have come to the conclusion that every time a log lands on that dang blasted sawmill more lumber falls off of it. I think that sawmill has a real problem with hardwood logs because every time it sees one it just wonders what's inside of it and it simply can't resist the urge to start it's motor and slice it up. I clean out the shop and it fills back up again with more wood form that sawmill. I get rid of the scrap but more appears because of that sawmill. I sweep the shop floor but more saw dust and planner chips appear again because of that sawmill. Somebody will buy a stack of lumber and in no time flat another stack appears to take it's place, it's that dang blasted sawmill of mine. I think my sawmill may have a problem, is there such a thing as a wood-a-holic? I think that sawmill just might be one. Is there a wood-a-holic's anonymous or some support group I can send my sawmill to so it can get help, it really needs some serious help.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
you could send it over here but i am afraid it my starve to death here.:lol:

SO QUIT WHININ AND FEED THE DURNED THING!!! WE need the wood!:rolf:

fred p

cskipper

Cathy
:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm: It just needs love and support - oh, wait, that would be enabling it. Maybe Steve's diet wood work (yes, I meant that).

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
Jeff, a support group for the mills themselves could present problems for getting them to a common meeting place preferably at least weekly for meetings. And what if they developed a smoking habit???

J

jeff...

Well I just got back from city hall. Went in to pay the water bill and the mayor who was talking on the phone said jeff... I need to talk to you. I said oh I'm in trouble now. She pointed to the door and we stepped outside for a chat. Come to find out the board is going to send me a letter to cease running my sawmill or pay a fine :eusa_thin. Guess I've been running it a little too much and people complained. I didn't cut but about 30 logs in the last few weeks. Now granted my lil-ole wood-mizer really ain't any louder than a lawn mower. So why people would complain about the noise I'm not sure. Then there is burning the slabs, but I'm all good as far a burning permits - I apply on line for 30 days at a time. Guess I'm just not seeing it.

Now I'm left with 3 options:

* Sell out and find something else to make noise and upset the neighbors. Maybe build a race car :-D
* Try and find a few acres to lease on a farm around here and set up shop. Which is what the Mayor suggested.
* Move back to the log yard and set up shop.

I'm going to try and get on the agenda for the city hall meeting so I can understand what the problem is, because I'm still not understanding it all. I have some mixed emotions about what I should do, it's that dang blasted saw mill. Like Kyle, my name is jeff and I also am a saw-a-holic... I guess I have to place my saw mill on restriction, it's been a bad boy. At least until I can find a place for it to be free again.

Like I said before I gotta move - too many rules... around here.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Best of luck Jeff!! Someone from Charlotte's city ordinance enforcement division stopped by my neighbors house this morning because they had too many cars in their drive way and one in the front yard. Talk about living in a nanny city, that's crazy!

lottathought

New User
Michael
Hmmmmmmm...must determine how to make this information work for me..:eusa_thin

I think that you should take option 3...Set up shop..
Then there will become a surplus of wood....and I suppose I can help out with that over-abundance issue.. :eusa_whis

Well I just got back from city hall. Went in to pay the water bill and the mayor who was talking on the phone said jeff... I need to talk to you. I said oh I'm in trouble now. She pointed to the door and we stepped outside for a chat. Come to find out the board is going to send me a letter to cease running my sawmill or pay a fine :eusa_thin. Guess I've been running it a little too much and people complained. I didn't cut but about 30 logs in the last few weeks. Now granted my lil-ole wood-mizer really ain't any louder than a lawn mower. So why people would complain about the noise I'm not sure. Then there is burning the slabs, but I'm all good as far a burning permits - I apply on line for 30 days at a time. Guess I'm just not seeing it.

Now I'm left with 3 options:

* Sell out and find something else to make noise and upset the neighbors. Maybe build a race car :-D
* Try and find a few acres to lease on a farm around here and set up shop. Which is what the Mayor suggested.
* Move back to the log yard and set up shop.

I'm going to try and get on the agenda for the city hall meeting so I can understand what the problem is, because I'm still not understanding it all. I have some mixed emotions about what I should do, it's that dang blasted saw mill. Like Kyle, my name is jeff and I also am a saw-a-holic... I guess I have to place my saw mill on restriction, it's been a bad boy. At least until I can find a place for it to be free again.

Like I said before I gotta move - too many rules... around here.

J

jeff...

I'm going back out to the log yard (option #3), there is a nice shady spot Ted showed me under a big old oak tree out in the back corner of the log yard. That is until the saw shed is finished then it'll be moved under cover. I'm really gonna miss looking out the back door and seeing that sawmill just waiting for me to flip control panel lid and put the key in and crank it up. But the bright side is I'll just have to drive 6 miles to run it and in all honesty it's really at home in a log yard, since it's constantly hungry and there is an over abundance of logs to feed it.

That Dang Blasted Sawmill, loved by some, hated by others... Run it and it really does something to you.

Thanks

cskipper

Cathy
Be sure you put a tree-tamper proof lock on that mill. It may start running itself :lol: You are still going to try to find out more about the complaint, aren't you?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, ya ought to keep your eye out for a small farm to buy, and move the whole family there (at least the ones that are still at home).

That way you could keep the mill at home, involve the grandkids in farm projects when they get older, and get a little further away from the rat race.

Just a thought...

Scott

cskipper

Cathy
Jeff, I've been thinking about the complaints from your neighbors. We've had neighbors who fuss about everything. I wondered though when you said that the saw runs pretty quietly. Is that when it is running, but now sawing? John's planer runs fairly quietly until you actually feed wood through it. Then I need ear protection. Perhaps that's what the neighbors are complaining about.

J

jeff...

Well, to continue feeding my habit of taking big round ones and making little square ones, I decided not to fight city. After talking with my uncle who has 30 plus years of running saw mills under his belt, I ran with his suggestion. So instead of upsetting the mayor, my neighbors and standing a chance of facing a fine, I moved back to the log yard today.

I took a quick tour of the log yard today, there are thousands of logs out there waiting to be sawed. I'll be posting current prices for green lumber soon and hopefully start up green lumber runs to Raleigh like before.

Thanks everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors