Damaged jointer. Repair or replace?

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
We moved over the last week and today was the last step, moving the shop. Unfortunately due to carelessness by some movers, my jointer was damaged. It's a 6" craftsman that I bought for $175, so I'm not too broken up about it, but will need to fix or replace.

Unfortunately I don't think that the particular damage lends itself to repair. The machine fell forward and the infeed table took most of the weight. It appears that the significant damage is a broken dovetail way on one side. Also damaged is the infeed table locking lever bracket. Pictures are below.

Is it worth trying a JB Weld fix or something else? If not, does anyone have a broken machine collecting dust that could be used for parts? How about a running 6" jointer you'd like to part with?

Attachments

• PXL_20210328_221423594.jpg
    PXL_20210328_221423594.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 208
  • PXL_20210328_221428306.jpg
    PXL_20210328_221428306.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 209
  • PXL_20210328_221453220.jpg
    PXL_20210328_221453220.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 206
  • PXL_20210328_221500453.jpg
    PXL_20210328_221500453.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 212
  • PXL_20210328_221512111.jpg
    PXL_20210328_221512111.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 196

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Might be time to move up to an eight inch if you have room and budget.

Regardless, I would not repair the dovetail ways, I don’t think it would ever be right.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Might be time to move up to an eight inch if you have room and budget.

Regardless, I would not repair the dovetail ways, I don’t think it would ever be right.
Yeah, I do have room but just bought a house. Maybe the stimulus check needs to be put to work.

I was thinking the same about the ways. Just hard to believe that it will be the same.

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
I have an old Craftsman model 113.206933 6" collecting dust. It was my father's and still runs well enough, but I could never get it tuned up right and the blade guard is broken off. I also wanted an 8", so I replaced it with a new one and returned it to his old shop in Sampson Cty. You are welcome to it if you can use it for parts. If you don't want a nice ride into the far eastern Sandhills, I'm sure we can come up with a different solution.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I have an old Craftsman model 113.206933 6" collecting dust. It was my father's and still runs well enough, but I could never get it tuned up right and the blade guard is broken off. I also wanted an 8", so I replaced it with a new one and returned it to his old shop in Sampson Cty. You are welcome to it if you can use it for parts. If you don't want a nice ride into the far eastern Sandhills, I'm sure we can come up with a different solution.
I appreciate the offer. I definitely may take you up on that. I guess it can't hurt to try fixing it first. If it doesn't work then only time is lost.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Proper repair would cost more than a replacement.
I agree, opportunity to go 8, but there is usually a supply of used 6 inchers out there. Quick look at Craig's list, a Delta minus motor and stand for too much. If insurance lets you keep the old one, maybe could make a deal.

Griz wants $825 and Jet a grand for theirs. No wonder the Ridgid sold so well. ( looks like currently out of stock)

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Is there another way to lock the infeed table height other than that detent block? Does the table seem to move ok even though part of the dovetail is broken? If so, you can probably use it as is.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Is there another way to lock the infeed table height other than that detent block? Does the table seem to move ok even though part of the dovetail is broken? If so, you can probably use it as is.
I'm pretty sure that the lock bracket would be fixable with JB Weld or similar, but unfortunately the table does not move normally, there's some not-insignificant play since the drop. I need to take it apart and see if there's any damage I haven't seen yet. Once I do that I'll have a better idea whether it's worth attempting an amateur fix.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I wish. These were friends helping out, not professionals. Things break when you move heavy stuff, and I never could have gotten it out myself. Oh well.
Bummer, so you are out of pocket. Then I for sure would be looking at things like the Delta on Craigs list.

joegyoung

New User
Joe
Sad damage and to me likely fatal with table moving abnormally. I have a Grizzly 6 inch 1182 that I have had for 15+ years and just moved up to an 8 inch. If you are interested let me know. No idea what it's worth. But if you use a jointer get an 8" with 1.5+ hp, you will be happy.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Sad damage and to me likely fatal with table moving abnormally. I have a Grizzly 6 inch 1182 that I have had for 15+ years and just moved up to an 8 inch. If you are interested let me know. No idea what it's worth. But if you use a jointer get an 8" with 1.5+ hp, you will be happy.
Yeah, my expectation is that it won't be fixable. Too bad but that ship may have sailed unfortunately. I am definitely interested in your Grizzly. I'll send you a PM.

Jim Roche

jim
User
I've had good success using Hamilton Machine shop in Raleigh, they're located off of Tryon Rd. They've done really nice work for me and they're super reasonable.

I had taken some cast iron trunnions from an old bandsaw over to them to get brazed and they were actually able to weld them. If I remember the repair was like $20-25 dollars. They've been in business a long time too.

Good Luck,

Jim

Last edited:

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I've had good success using Hamilton Machine shop in Raleigh, they're located off of Tryon Rd. They've done really nice work for me and they're super reasonable.

I had taken some cast iron trunnions from an old bandsaw over to them to get brazed and they were actually able to weld the. If I remember the repair was like $20-25 dollars. They've been in business a long time too.

Good Luck,

Jim
That's great, thanks very much. Once I take the thing apart and see how extensive the damage is I'll have a better idea whether it's worth considering a repair.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I had taken some cast iron trunnions from an old bandsaw over to them to get brazed and they were actually able to weld the. If I remember the repair was like $20-25 dollars. They've been in business a long time too. ....
Thanks Jim - I have never known if there is a shop local to me that I could deal will such things... good to hear (should I ever break something - haha).

awldune

Sam
User
You should probably count yourself lucky that no one was hurt. I wouldn't have wanted to be around when it fell.

If you have a ton of room to spare and it can't be repaired, there is something to be said for having a "beater" jointer.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
You should probably count yourself lucky that no one was hurt. I wouldn't have wanted to be around when it fell.

If you have a ton of room to spare and it can't be repaired, there is something to be said for having a "beater" jointer.
Yeah, I'm glad that everyone came out mostly unscathed. There were some bruises but that's it.

Interesting thought about having a beater. If I'm ultimately able to make some kind of repair that at least keeps the infeed table coplanar to the outfeed, I wouldn't be too bothered by having a set, non-adjustable cut depth jointer for rough stuff.

Fortunately for the time being I have plenty of shop setup, cabinet building, etc to do which won't require use of a jointer. The next fine woodworking project I have with any kind of deadline is a bar tray I need to finish by mid-May. With any luck I'll be up and running in some capacity in time to make that happen.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors