Dado set leaves ridges

Trickkart

New User
Bill
I have attached 3 files which explain my recent experience with a brand new Freud dado set. Please read to the end as this post is not a negative about Freud but rather what I experienced using the Freud on my equipment!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220313-115655_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220313-115655_Chrome.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20220313-115718_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220313-115718_Chrome.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20220313-115735_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220313-115735_Chrome.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 132
Reactions: Oka

Unknownroad

New User
Sarah
Wow, this is a really timely post for me- I was literally using my Freud dado set for the first time yesterday and noticing a ridge on the arbor side of my 3/4" dado stack. I'm just going to smooth it out on this project, but I'll have to keep this in mind for the next time I use it.

Trickkart

New User
Bill
Wow, this is a really timely post for me- I was literally using my Freud dado set for the first time yesterday and noticing a ridge on the arbor side of my 3/4" dado stack. I'm just going to smooth it out on this project, but I'll have to keep this in mind for the next time I use it.
Glad it helped, I am not sure how I will permanently fix my saw as I don't want to have to redo the metal tape each time I setup to use the dado set. At one time, I was told you could buy new arbors with extended shoulders but this old Delta dates back pre 1970 (actually one of my first pieces of woodworking machinery, she has been with me all of my woodworking life, been rebuilt twice with bearings and belts, but she still purrs like a kitten!)
But I think my local machine shop can weld up the threaded area for the 13/16" length of the dado stack, grind it to the shoulder diameter and I will be good to go.
Post a followup when you get into your next dado project and let us know if you found the same problem.
Happy woodworking,
Bill

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Bill, you did not say which Freud dado set you have -- I have the SD508 which fits snugly on the arbor shaft of my Grizzly cabinet saw and produces a very flat cut. There is no way I could add a layer of tape over the threads as you did; I doubt I have more than a thousandths of an inch clearance on my arbor. Your older saw must have a smaller shaft diameter. What model dado set are you using?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors