Dado jig - 'exact width'

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
There's nothing 'original' here, I just thought I'd post in case others had not considered such a jig. I suspect others (Joe Scharle, the jigmeister) have posted something like this back in the archives, but pics haven't necessarily migrated to the new platform.

Anyways, I am working on a sheet good project, something I haven't done very often. I need to dado shelves into the sides of a 3 unit set of built-in bookcase/cabinets. So I needed a consistent method to dado.

Many 'exact width' use the concepts of
1. an undersize bit and two passes to establish the two sides - I do this too
2. using the actual material to set the width of the jig - I also do this.
The few videos I watched (Wood Whisperer and other similar ones) were helpful in establishing the types of pieces needed and general dimensions. However they all seemed to use either a bushing or the router plate edge to establish the position, and quite frankly did not appeal to me. Doing so requires use of the same router/bit combo, or bushing/bit combo, each time.

So I purchased a top bearing 1/2" wide bit from Klingspor's (1/4" shank was the only way it came) and used that. So far it has worked flawlessly.

Hints from videos that I found useful were:
1. Clamping the piece into the jig to establish a tight fit dado.
2. Clamping the jig onto the piece helps maintain position
3. Ensuring the reference surface is straight and flat will help.

Here's a few pics of the jig in action; 2nd one shows the top bearing bit.
Sorry, not the greatest pics for a fully explanation, but if you want that there are more than a few videos to see. I wanted a jig that could lay flat on a bench and so put the slots below and the knobs above. THis will handle a 24" width, so I am cutting the shelf sides, then ripping to width. Should ensure perfect alignment.

20210220_164055.jpg
20210220_164103.jpg
20210220_164144.jpg
20210220_164125.jpg

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
The few videos I watched (Wood Whisperer and other similar ones) were helpful in establishing the types of pieces needed and general dimensions. However they all seemed to use either a bushing or the router plate edge to establish the position, and quite frankly did not appeal to me. Doing so requires use of the same router/bit combo, or bushing/bit combo, each time.

So I purchased a top bearing 1/2" wide bit from Klingspor's (1/4" shank was the only way it came) and used that. So far it has worked flawlessly.
Great idea to use a top bearing bit instead of a bushing. I made one of these with the bushing style and it seems like I can never get the bushing/router plate exactly centered, so my results aren't what I'd like. I may have to modify my jig a little bit to work like yours.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
.... I made one of these with the bushing style and it seems like I can never get the bushing/router plate exactly centered, so my results aren't what I'd like. ....

That's exactly what I wanted to avoid. I mark one side of the dado and position the jig where needed, clamp it down, and run the router through (several times) on each side. Remember I am using a 1/2" bit here for what is nominally 3/4" plywood.

I might note that I also used the Wood Whisperer's implementation of hardwood strips for the working edges of the jig, rather than plywood edges. Can't recall if others do that, but that's where I saw it. These are thick or wide enough to be resurfaced (which I have had to do once already - dinged one side by removing the router with a moving bit....).

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I go a different route. Having made thousands of feet of cubbies for local "Y's", I have cut more than my share of dados. I use a piece of 1/4" plywood with a fence (3/4 stock) attached. Use the router to trim plywood to exactly where the bit cuts, similar to making a saw guide. Use them in pairs. Have a special router set up to do these cuts. It has never been used for anything else. For bit, I use a reverse helix bit from HerSaf (no longer in business.) It uses a screw on cutter. Still using the first one I bought, even after 20 years of service. They were designed to go on panel routers, cutting melamine panels.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I do the same as Bruce. I don't have a router dedicated to the job, so I simply wrote the router, bit and orientation of the router onto the jig.

Clamp the edge of the guide onto the cut line and go...

-Mark

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
... I use a piece of 1/4" plywood with a fence (3/4 stock) attached. Use the router to trim plywood to exactly where the bit cuts, similar to making a saw guide. Use them in pairs. Have a special router set up to do these cuts. It has never been used for anything else. For bit, I use a reverse helix bit from HerSaf (no longer in business.) It uses a screw on cutter. Still using the first one I bought, even after 20 years of service. They were designed to go on panel routers, cutting melamine panels.
I do the same as Bruce. I don't have a router dedicated to the job, so I simply wrote the router, bit and orientation of the router onto the jig.

Clamp the edge of the guide onto the cut line and go...

-Mark

And how do you deal with undersized plywood? "Use them in pairs" means you set up and clamp two pieces - one for each side of the dado? That would be tiresome, and for me possibly error producing (non-parallel sides).

I don't have dedicated router either, but this approach does use a top bearing bit. Once set up for the shelf material thickness, I have been able to cut all my dadoes for this project without resetting the width, and I use one clamp to position it. I checked for square a bunch of times, until I was convinced that it would set square when properly positioned - of course particles between the edge piece and the plywood can throw that off, so it's worth checking.

Of course there are many possible paths here - and I highlight one that has worked for me so far. Of course others use different methods, and options are always great to hear about.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS