Dado blade for radial arm saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yes, I almost exclusively use a standard 8" TS dado blade set on my RAS. You need to maintain extra control over it because it doesn't have a negative rake angle to the teeth, but I have never seen a dado stack with a neg. rake tooth.The postive angle of the teeth can cause the blade and saw head to want to come towards you, but if you know that and are prepared for it and follow all normal common sense safety measures it's not a problem.
I prefer using a RAS for dado work when the capacity can handle it because your moving the cutter and not the work piece which makes it a lot easier with long or large stock.
MYCW,
Dave:)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
i use mine on the RAS. works ok but it dogs it down quite a bit. i have to remove the guard to do it and it is quite scarry. make sure your hands are in the clear and wear safty glasses. i also use a push cut iin stead of pulling the blade through the cut. it also leaves a less than perfect cut. the table saw is a much better and safer way!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Yes they can. I have used a Sears two blade wobble on my saw for years. When doing pressure treated lumber, I use the $19.99 cheapie from Harbor Freight. I have also used my Freud SD-208, and my Forrest Dado King on my radial saw. Most dado blades feature a negative hook angle (to prevent chip out) on the outside cutters. This is what you want on a radial arm saw. Just be aware that because you are removing a lot of material, dados have a tendency to self feed. Make sure your left hand is out of the way and you have a firm grip with right hand, as you will be both pulling, while resisting the blades desire to self feed. Did you check with the Lowes in RR to see if they still had the Biese fences in stock.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I know why she is using the radial arm saw! Those long rails for the trestle tables she is building.

I have done it myself as well. Not too bad, but as all say be careful.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Well I will throw my two cents in. I use my RAS to put rabbit on my pullouts. Works great. I also use a heapie from Harbor Freight.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lorraine I have a dado blade I can loan you. The only problem is I won't be up your way until 2 weeks from tonight.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Most dado blades feature a negative hook angle (to prevent chip out) on the outside cutters. This is what you want on a radial arm saw.

Bruce you're right. I just checked my two dado sets. My el-cheapo HF set doesn't have a neg. rake, but my good Jesda set does. I learned something today, and that must be why the Jesda works so much better.
Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Dave, For $19.99 what do you expect- perfection? "Quality is like buying oats- If you want nice clean oats, they are going to cost you. If you don't mind if they have already been through the horse, they are a lot cheaper." Jim Collier's Hobbby Shop- North Hills Mall, circa 1975

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS