Cypress coffee table WIP pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
So I've been working on a coffee table for my sister over the past week.

After sweeping all of this up is when I decided I would be purchasing a DC system in the near future.
The beer boxes are from watching the NFL playoffs in the shop because the women invaded the den.:wsmile:

0209111942.jpg

View image in gallery

This is my first "I need more clamps" moment. :rotflm:

The table legs after glue up and cutting to size.

The first part of the base assembly.

The base fully assembled.

I had enough lumber left over to make the bottom shelf from hardwood.

I decided to put my Kreg pocket hole jig to use with this project. All of the joints and assembly use pocket screws. This is, to date, the biggest piece that I have built. I'm super excited. Everything is square and it doesn't wobble when sitting on the floor.:thumbs_up

The table top will be a frame that will house a pattern of wine corks topped off with a pane of glass. I'm leaving that part up to little sis. :gar-Bi Does any one have any great ideas of what kind of finish to use on cypress? I was thinking BLO (I've never used BLO before so I don't know)?????

Thanks for looking. I know you guys love pictures (sorry about the quality they were taken with my phone). I'll post some more when I get the top built and more after the finishing.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Looks great Ricky, that is going to be a very nice table! Square and non-wobbly, that's 90% of the battle.

For a finish, I'd probably go with a simple wiping varnish. Mix 1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil, 1/3 Mineral Spirits and 1/3 Varnish. Wipe on, let set for a few minutes, wipe of excess. Let dry. Sand if necessary. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Enjoy. Note that while a wiping varnish is great for the frame, it probably wouldn't be durable enough for the top....but since your sister is handing that and it involves glass, I think you're all set.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Thanks Bas. I think I'm gonna go with your finishing suggestion. One question though. Whats the difference between varnish and spar varnish? Can I use spar in the solution you suggested? I hope so. I just picked up a can today. It's the only thing Big Blue had that I saw.:dontknow:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Thanks Bas. I think I'm gonna go with your finishing suggestion. One question though. Whats the difference between varnish and spar varnish? Can I use spar in the solution you suggested? I hope so. I just picked up a can today. It's the only thing Big Blue had that I saw.:dontknow:
I've never used spar varnish for indoor applications, but I don't see why you couldn't use it. I believe the main difference is that spar varnish has some UV inhibitors, and the oil/ resin ratio may be slightly different in order to have a more flexible finish. I suggest you try some on a piece of scrap (sanded to the final grit just like the actual piece) and see how you like the look & feel.

Lowe's carries Minwax (oil-based) polyurethane, which is a varnish. Another option is something like Waterlox, but for that you'll have to go to the specialty store.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Good work. The more I see the pocket joints, the more I know there is one in my future.
BAS is right on about the spar varnish. Spar or marine varnish is made to withstand being outside. It contains UV inhibitors and the wood outside expands and contracts a lot, a normal varnish would simply crack and fall off shortly.

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
Thanks guys. I'm gonna mix up a little solution with the spar varnish and see what it looks like. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything with the furniture being inside. I guess we'll see what happens (on some scrap first of course). :gar-Bi

Andrew, I really like that little Kreg jig. It's really easy to use and the joints are nice and strong. I would definitely suggest getting one.:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS