cycone on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I think it would work just fine, and it's been bought by people from this site with good outcome. But....... I.....think .......I hear .......them now.
Here comes all the Bill Pentz/ Clearvue folks getting ready to hijack this thread.:gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think it would work just fine, and it's been bought by people from this site with good outcome. But....... I.....think .......I hear .......them now.
Here comes all the Bill Pentz/ Clearvue folks getting ready to hijack this thread.:gar-La;
sepatator vs cyclone....4" vs. 6"...Fein vs. Festool...Freud vs Forrest....grilled vs. fried. OK, hijack done, back to the thread.

They look good. I guess the devil is in the details, or in this case, what's inside. But if someone is going to go to the trouble of selling cyclones, I'm sure her or she has done her homework...at least I hope so.

Hooked up to a regular DC, this should be at least as good as a trash can separator with baffle, probably better. Granted, it's a few dollars more, but it looks much cooler as well. Hooked up to a decent motor and impeller, well, looks like you can save a few bucks over the Oneida/ ClearVue systems. Again, without any consideration to quality.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
If you crank up the Wayback Machine there was an attempt at a group buy for those a long time ago. SteveD (What happened to him?) had this set-up along with a few others. I think it was our first trip down the semi-heated dust collection comparison discussion path. http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f23/cyclone-separator-nc-woodworker-deal-602/
and here:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f23/cyclone-separator-update-663-post4536/
and here:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f29/shop-pics-cyclone-separator-1039/
It would be neat to do a face off between one of these and a Phil Thein separator on fine dust.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I would like to see an objective comparison of a clearvue, oneida, grizzly, and a Phil Thien separator.

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

The sky darkens, the clouds build up, the gods of Dust collection are angry as the world of ego's start to collide.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I think we do a suggestion on a magazine article write up. Between many of us I would imagine there are sufficient types to test and enough engineering types that can build the test plans.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think this group has the skills for it. But it won't be easy. Testing is about eliminating all the variables. What do we want to test? We can look at each machine as a whole, or look at individual components (cyclone separator, motor, impeller). Ideally, we'd test each cyclone with each motor/ impeller, and each motor/ impeller with each cyclone. But that may be overkill.

Assuming we're testing each machine as a unit, what to look for?
- Amount of air moved
- Suction
- Separation
- Noise
- Power consumption

You'd have to disconnect each machine from its duct work, to compare apples to apples. Measuring separation wouldn't be too hard, starting with a clean filter you can process x pounds of dust and then measure how much ends up in the can. Noise - I'm sure someone has a dB meter. An anemometer might not be so easy to find, but that's why we have eBay :) And of course, you need to test with a variety of materials (plywood, MDF, hardwood, softwood) and variety of machines (jointer, planer, table saw). In other words, a BIG project.

Pass the popcorn Geoff. I want to see if anyone wants to run with this.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, an Oneida puts a Clear vue to shame any and every day. All that MDF and plastic adds to the drag not to mention the overrated Leeson motor they use.

Oh wait until Alan and Rob log on. ;-)

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
not if you use silicon paint! :rotflm:let the GAMES begin! yeh geoff I'll take a bag o popcorn too!:icon_chee

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I'm here . . . .

Not going there.

I posted an answer and analysis of that Ebay cyclone somewhere. I'll only make a few comments.

Will it work? Sure. How well- not as well as a Griz, Oneida, ClearVue, or homebuilt based on the Pentz design. Why? because it doesn't have any of neutral vane or better, spiral inlet ramp, or angled inlet, some or all of which are part of the better designs and contribute to better separation. "It doesn't need one of those vane things," said the seller when I querried him a few years ago!?!?!?!?!?

It will "suck" about the same as any other cyclone with the same blower. So what is the difference? It will not separate as well as the others mentioned and will allow more dust to get through to cartridge filter and clog it sooner. It most likely will perform better than a trashcan w/baffle.

Separation above 80-90% is not necessary if you don't plan to use a filter and will discharge outside.

Is it a good deal? Depends. How will you use it? Certainly not if you can do it yourself. It contains about $50 worth of galvanized steel- that is what it cost me to build my big 3D cyclone. Here is the link to my gallery with cyclone construction pics

One final note on the design/designer/builder. Bas said, "But if someone is going to go to the trouble of selling cyclones, I'm sure he or she has done her homework...at least I hope so." In this case I don't think so. The guy did not really understand the neutral vane when I exchanged emails with him a few years ago, and the biggee, his Ebay discussion on selection of inlet, outlet, and discharge opening sizes shows he doesn't understand cyclones. Sorry, but I don't think he really has a clue other than what he "borrowed" from other cyclone manufacturers. I think he is a former (still?) HVAC ducting or commercial metal bender- not an engineer (or cyclone designer).

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Well, can't blame you for not going there. That is why this site stays civil.:thumbs_up

I don't remember any discussions about a neutral vane, but your comments make a lot of sense. This is a sheet metal mechanic not an Engineer. The old saying you get what you pay for appears to be true in this instance.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Then again, as far as engineers are concerned their are engineers and good engineers:gar-La; out there. But the shame of it is that there are so few in the second category. This is based on years of dealing with them. So I don't hold engineer opinions too high either :dontknow:.

Most great inventors aren't engineers, the reason they are good is the ability to look and work "outside the box".

M

McRabbet

Firm cyclone strategy here: Alan... :crossedlips: Rob... :crossedlips:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS