Cyclones on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
You get what you pay for. There are a number of problems with this unit-

According to the quoted specs it is TERRIBLE at separating out the fine dust which means you'll be clogging up your filters. I would only use something like this if venting it to the outside and only to separate out big chips. It would clog a cartridge filter in a heart beat.

This is a VERY unsophisticated older design similar to the original basic Wood Magazine cyclone which itself had some serious flaws. It does not have a neutral vane, nor a spiral inlet ramp as do most of the better cyclones (Bill Pentz plans built, Clear Vue, Oneida, Grizzly). When the seller was challenged about that a few years ago (by a potential buyer) the seller gpt very defensive and said it wasn't needed. The seller is a metal bender and not an engineer nor designer.

You can build a MUCH better Pentz designed cyclone for about a third of what this one costs.

Just my two cents worth.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Thanks Alan. That was a very informative response. I am planning on switching to a cyclone later in the year (probably an Oneida).

Doug

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
This setup is still better than just a bag style cyclone filter. While it does have its problems, its not that bad.

I would just buy the metal trash can and the lid, and then pipe it to my dust collector and get the same effect though for less money. Basically its nothing but a chip seperator.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
This setup is still better than just a bag style cyclone filter. While it does have its problems, its not that bad.

I would just buy the metal trash can and the lid, and then pipe it to my dust collector and get the same effect though for less money. Basically its nothing but a chip seperator.

Yup, you hit the nail on the head!

There are two, none competing reasons for having a DC. One is to remove dust and chips from your shop- to keep it cleaner of "big" stuff, and two, to remove and limit exposure to fine dust that is hazardous to your lungs and health. A lot of us, me included, focus too much on the first issue.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese

According to the quoted specs it is TERRIBLE at separating out the fine dust which means you'll be clogging up your filters. I would only use something like this if venting it to the outside and only to separate out big chips. It would clog a cartridge filter in a heart beat.

This is a VERY unsophisticated older design similar to the original basic Wood Magazine cyclone which itself had some serious flaws. It does not have a neutral vane, nor a spiral inlet ramp as do most of the better cyclones (Bill Pentz plans built, Clear Vue, Oneida, Grizzly). When the seller was challenged about that a few years ago (by a potential buyer) the seller gpt very defensive and said it wasn't needed. The seller is a metal bender and not an engineer nor designer.

You can build a MUCH better Pentz designed cyclone for about a third of what this one costs.

Just my two cents worth.

Alan,

Not to be disagreeable, but I can speak to this unit from personal experience. I have it in my shop with 6" duct run throughout. I converted my old Grizzly DC and was able to get a cyclone system that functions very well for a minimal investment. I have a Wynne filter on the discharge and a fine dust bucket on the bottom for cleanout. Even when I run my Performax to sand large quantities of wood, there has never been more than a hint of dust in the bucket. I can run my DC 6 months and when I check the bucket there is less than a half inch of accumulation, even after blowing the filter clean with compressed air. I've had no problems with clogged filters and the performance has remained the same for the year that I've had it.

Yes, the Oneida, Grizzly, etc. are better (at $1000+) and Bill Pentz's design is better (if you have the time to make it), but this system works very well in the right application. As far as the neutral vane goes, it would be a simple matter to create one by inserting a piece of duct into the cyclone inlet but I saw no need with the results I achieved with the stock unit.

I don't think the unit is worth adding to an already undersized DC and I would buy a system like the Oneida or Grizzly if I didn't have any DC (and a spare $1000) but it was a fantastic addition to my system.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User

Just my two cents worth.
Alan, just goes to show opinions are like____, everybody has one. I have built several of the Wood Magazine cyclones over the years. Mine doesn't have a neutral vane in it. The outlet from the blower goes to a plentium that has seven of the 6 1/4" X 65" socks on it. The are the felt ones from Onedia. Being mounted vertically, they drop the fines every time the unit cuts off. Once when I was running a moulding head in saw making some siding, I forgot to empty trash can, and had materials get into socks. About once a year, I vacuum out plentium. I really have no complaits about my cyclone, other than why didn't I build one a lot earlier. Amazing thing is I use 4" PVC (25'+) and a 10' length of flex when running my 15" planer and have no problems. Most everything I read says that it won't work, but it does.

J

jeff...

Alan, just goes to show opinions are like____, everybody has one. I have built several of the Wood Magazine cyclones over the years. Mine doesn't have a neutral vane in it. The outlet from the blower goes to a plentium that has seven of the 6 1/4" X 65" socks on it. The are the felt ones from Onedia. Being mounted vertically, they drop the fines every time the unit cuts off. Once when I was running a moulding head in saw making some siding, I forgot to empty trash can, and had materials get into socks. About once a year, I vacuum out plentium. I really have no complaits about my cyclone, other than why didn't I build one a lot earlier. Amazing thing is I use 4" PVC (25'+) and a 10' length of flex when running my 15" planer and have no problems. Most everything I read says that it won't work, but it does.

Funny, I thought opinions are like arm pits, everyone's got one and sometimes they really stink. :eusa_thin

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Funny, I thought opinions are like arm pits, everyone's got one and sometimes they really stink. :eusa_thin

I am reasonably certain, Sir, that you have two, as do I.

Armpits, not opinions. I have many opinions, but only two armpits and one whatever.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS