Cyclone update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
After a month of fairly heavy use, I pulled the bucket off from the cartridge filter and other than a trace of dust it was empty. The cyclone is essentially separating all dust except for extremely fine particles. At this rate, I can't imagine that I'd need to empty the bucket on the cartidge more than twice a year and even then it probably will not be full.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Good deal Steve. Did you have to back-blow the filter at all before you removed your bucket?

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
I wanted to see what was in there first and it definitely was not needed as of yet. I did give it a good shake and nothing dislodged. Even when I ran the DC before the filter arrived, the only time I could notice anything getting past the cyclone was when I used the Performax and that only generated a light dust coating on my glasses after over an hour of constant sanding.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Guess I am gonna have to make the plunge one of these days and get a cyclone. A couple of other upgrades are in order first but I really want to get a setup similar to your's. With the 3 hp blower it should make quite a good one.

Mike

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
mshel said:
Guess I am gonna have to make the plunge one of these days and get a cyclone. A couple of other upgrades are in order first but I really want to get a setup similar to your's. With the 3 hp blower it should make quite a good one.

Mike

Mike, I think your DC would adapt very well to becoming a retrofitted cyclone. How is that new planer working out for you.

D L

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
D L Ames said:
Mike, I think your DC would adapt very well to becoming a retrofitted cyclone. How is that new planer working out for you.

D L

Ironically, I haven't had the need to use it much here lately, but the few times I have used it, after removing the foam ( still don't know why they attached it to the cover) it works just fine. I don't remember if I told you or not, but I removed the wire like grill guard that covered the 6" inlet because while planeing some old pine, I had chips backed clear up to the planer because of they were hanging on the grill and stopped it up. A little snip snip and all is well. LOL
How is everythng down your way?
Mike

dave_the_woodworker

New User
Update your profile with your name
Steve,

I've had a three hp Oneida cyclone for several years and have had the same experience as you - relatively little dust ever ends up in the fine filter. Except for one occassion! I had been doing a lot of planing and didn't pay too much attention to the level in the 55 gallon drum since it takes so long to fill up. I finally noticed that some small levels of dust were flying out of the planer. It looked like I was losing suction for some reason. Hmmm. I checked the cyclone and the entire 55 gallon drum was filled. And so was the first couple of feet of the bottom of the cyclone itself. :eusa_doh: What a mess! It took over an hour to get all of the sawdust out of the cyclone. Then I thought to check to cartridge filter, which is over 5 feet tall on this system, expecting that I might see a little more than the sixteenth of an inch or so of dust that I was used to finding. But it was packed completely full, top to bottom! It took another hour to break the sawdust 'brick' out of the fine filter with a broom handle. I'm sure I ate at least a half pound of sawdust that day.

Lesson to be learned: Cyclone collectors are great but DON'T LET THE DRUM GET FULL!!!!

Dave

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
There is a plan on Bill Pentsz's site to make a sensor to alert you about this but it seemed questionable to me in terms of durability. That cleanup sounds like it was a pain. Note to self... check drum frequently :mrgreen:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
ah Hah! I see how some people are upping their post count!

edit:
(disclaimer)
SteveD, or another mod/admin deleted what I am sure was an accidental second post overnight. guess three of us saw it ;)

Last edited:

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Speaking of Cyclones:roll: ,,and Bill Pentz,,Anyone intersted in making a cyclone?:eusa_thin I have a new welder for christmas,:icon_thum and have researched/pondered/put off/told myself next month,, that Im going to make one. If anyone wants to take the plunge with me or have me throw one togeather for them while im getting one done for my little shop let me know. Date to be determined, but deff in the next 2 to 3 months. Just something to chew on.
Be blessed.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Michael,

That could be a fun project. I debated making one but couldn't justify it with all of the other projects I have going right now. Of course, I also hate dealing with sheet metal :lol: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS