Cyclone full

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
A neighbor came by today and while we were getting something from the shop he asked me how I knew when the cyclone barrel was full. I looked over and saw that the clear 6" flex hose leading to the barrel was full of sawdust. :gar-Oo: I said "that's how." Oops. Planing and joining fills it up FAST!!!

Doug

P.S. I do not have an Alan sawdust detector installed.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Doug,

If you have a load of the bigger stuff (chips, shavings, etc)... and you happen to have a friend who is a bee keeper... they love that stuff. It makes good fuel for the smoker pots.

Ray

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup, I have heard that the ASD's are good to have.

When the OMB authorizes an upgrade to the current DC system (cartridge filter and plastic bags on my HFDC) I will also add a separator to the system. 20" planers fills up a 40 gallon bag very quickly!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
yup, I have heard that the ASD's are good to have.

When the OMB authorizes an upgrade to the current DC system (cartridge filter and plastic bags on my HFDC) I will also add a separator to the system. 20" planers fills up a 40 gallon bag very quickly!
Pete,do a search of Bas's post on trash can separator. Also go to SMC and do a search for Phil Thien. He came up with a design that seems to work. I say "seems" as I haven't built one. but have read others reviews.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Pete,do a search of Bas's post on trash can separator. Also go to SMC and do a search for Phil Thien. He came up with a design that seems to work. I say "seems" as I haven't built one. but have read others reviews.

yup, from some other comments on the retail separators, it seems Bas's solution is among the best, and also the cheapest! I like good, and cheap!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
So, it has a name? "ASD" :thumbs_up

HighDust-8.JPG

P3010007.JPG

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Although I think the ASD (seems like a wierd name) is a neat device, it isn't quite right for me.

Where it is positioned it is going to overfill my barrel. I don't want to install it on the barrel because I haul it out to empty it. Any chance you can design a paddle style like Penn State now has that mounts into the lid?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
it seems Bas's solution is among the best, and also the cheapest! I like good, and cheap!
Thanks for the compliment (especially the cheap part...proud Dutch heritage here), but the credit really goes to Don (KC7CN) and Phil Thien. But, I will take credit for the absolutely fabulous write-up and pictures :)

BTW, I've emptied my trash can about 5 times now (2/3 full each time), and I still have only two handfuls of dust in the bag. Most of that is because I forgot to empty the trash can and some of the shavings got past the baffle :) Common mistake, overflowing your DC. But, I refuse to build a sensor that costs more than the trash can separator :rolf:

For those sitting on the fence....how about sitting on a comfy couch instead. Oh, wait...oh, yeah, I saw Home Depot has its metal trash cans on sale again, for $18. Last time I bought one, it was marked $18 but rang up for $10. Perfect size for use with a smaller DC like the HF, Delta or JET.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Although I think the ASD (seems like a wierd name) is a neat device, it isn't quite right for me.

Where it is positioned it is going to overfill my barrel. I don't want to install it on the barrel because I haul it out to empty it. Any chance you can design a paddle style like Penn State now has that mounts into the lid?

Travis, the DustBowlBoys have a couple of ideas...

If you could extend a sleeve an inch below the lid, as the barrel approaches full, it would not deposit chips in the "freeboard" between the bottom of the sleeve and top of lid, and would collect in the sleeve. When the sensor fired, you would have some surplus room in the barrel to catch the sleeve buildup. I think there's a standard HVAC thingie (collar or takeoff) that you could just caulk to the bottom of the lid that would act as a sleeve.

There's also been talk of using a periscope system, with two mirrors mounted on 45° brackets to shoot the light down, project the beam between mirrors a couple of inches down, and then reflect it back up to the sensor. All of this would be lid-mounted and not affect the barrel. I don't think this concept has been tested.

Also, there's a complete write-up and schematic for a $20 (parts only, doesn't include shipping) paddle sensor on Bill's website. When I couldn't find a fast acting photosensor, I contemplated building one of these. In retrospect, I am much happier with my ADS unit. If you're willing to spring the $$$ for the parts, I'm willing to help you assemble it.

And finally, shouldn't it be ADS? That would be an AlanDustSensor. What's an ASD?

KC7CN

New User
Don
Thanks for the compliment (especially the cheap part...proud Dutch heritage here), but the credit really goes to Don (KC7CN) and Phil Thien. But, I will take credit for the absolutely fabulous write-up and pictures.... :)

Thought I'd better chime in to say that my separator looked better than it worked until Bas inspired me to modify it using Phil Thien's design. I'm here to tell you, Phil's design is what really makes it work!

Last week I was astonished to notice there was some sawdust in my clear plastic dust collector bag. It's normally empty because the separator works so good! On closer inspection, I discovered the separator was jambed full of sawdust - what was in the bag was overflow. And to add insult to injury, I have a view window on the side of the can. :tinysmile_cry_t:

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS