Cutting solid core doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glennbear

Glenn
I am planning on making some workbenches using birch veneer solid core doors and have to cut some down. I planned on taping the cut line and prescoring with a knife. Any other suggestions to eliminate splintering of the paper thin veneer ? Thanks :wsmile:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
that about covers it.:icon_thum stay off the scored line a 1/16" or so then sand the cut. the door is probably particle board core so you may want to band it or route it out and rerail it.

fred

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glenn, I saw on some WW show where they trimmed out the bench top with some hardwood boards so they were an 1/8th inch higher then the top. Then they just dropped in a piece of 1/8th masonite. That way when the masonite got all messed up you flip it or replace it. If you go that route a few chips in the veener won't be an issue.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If I use a circular saw I use a saw guide made from two pieces of 1/4 luan, one to guide the edge of the saw base and one that extends over to where the blade will cut. This makes the cut straight but also holds down the wood fibers on the top surface to minimize splintering. I put the guide on the piece I am keeping.

I prefer to use the table saw with a zero clearance insert. I have a large rip capacity but it isn't 6 feet so I cannot easily take a little off on the top or bottom on the table saw.

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Solid core doors make good bench tops, but it'll probably be a particle board (sawdust) core & you'll need to seal it somehow. You'd probably wanna put the cut side to the wall. I've seen some people rout out the particle board 3/4" deep on that side & install a solid wood filler glued up. That'll help. Of course it goes without saying you'll probably end up cutting the lock side of the door unless you need the lock hole for cords & hoses & such. Before you cut the backside to dimension, trim off the hinge mortises & sand it up. Be careful here, most doors have a narrow stile on each side so just trim off the mortise + 1 sawcut.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I find the lock hole to be an excellent place for the shop vac hose. Just brush the dust over the hole and it's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors