Cutting small parts on a TS

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
While I own a SawStop but I would rather not test the design. I have a need to cut some very small pieces. By small I mean roughly 1". I have cut a few pieces using my Incra miter gauge but I am thinking there might be a better and safer way. How do you guys cut small pieces?

Scott, 1' x ? x ? Size will make a big difference on process.

Bruce (B Whitney). When cutting 3/16" W x 3/4" H x 1" L, I average about 1000 pieces/hour. I doubt you could do that with a hand saw. Lol.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Charlie mentioned he could cut pieces as small as 3/16”. He can. You should try to get a nickel tour of his TS operation.
Scott, 1' x ? x ? Size will make a big difference on process.

Bruce (B Whitney). When cutting 3/16" W x 3/4" H x 1" L, I average about 1000 pieces/hour. I doubt you could do that with a hand saw. Lol.

Charlie the pieces I needed to cut were 1 1/8" L x 1/2" H x 1/4" T. I did manage to get them cut but I did violate a few golden rules that I never want to do again.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
While I own a SawStop but I would rather not test the design. I have a need to cut some very small pieces. By small I mean roughly 1". I have cut a few pieces using my Incra miter gauge but I am thinking there might be a better and safer way. How do you guys cut small pieces?
I was taught the 6” rule, your hand may never be closer than 6” to the blade. After 40+ years, I am still scared of the table saw, respect it and the only accident I ever had needing stitches, was when a carving chisel slipped due to my wrong technique.

If you have to cut small pieces, make a sled or a jig and obey the 6” rule.

For segmented turning, I cut everything on a miter saw.

If I have odd small pieces for a once off job, I go to the band saw and clean up the cuts with either a hand plane, drum sander, or combination sander.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone who replied. Great suggestions. I plan to keep all my body parts. Since it was on sale, I decided to go with the Rockler small parts sled.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS