cutting boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

hulcher

New User
Don
Besides the old favorites can mahogany (only end grain), bloodwood and bubinga be used for end grain cutting boards or bread boards. Concerned about toxicity. Finish is mineral oil. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Re: citting boards

I see no problem in using just about any wood in a cutting board. You're not going to eat the board, and you would have to do some mighty vigorous cutting to develop enough wood particles to attach to the food.
I would stick to closed pore woods to help with the cleanliness of the board, and use a separate board for meats and veggies.

Dave:)

TexasTimbers

New User
Kevin
Those are nice looking cutting boards flathead. The thread is closed so I will tell you here. :wwink:

hulcher, there are a number of resources available on the web which list species that are toxic to some degree. Not necessarily enough to be harmful to humans. I used to have several of them in my favorites before my last hard drive crash, but no longer.

However, this article by Dean O. Cliver, Ph.D of the University of California at Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine is a very enlightening read. You may wonder, as I did, why would a vet school do a study on cutting boards? :icon_scra
I can only assume it's because no one else had done so, and this Ph.D decided if not him,then who? :dontknow:

Anyone contemplating making cutting boards would probably feel much better about it after reading it. Especially after reading the last sentence of the study summary . . . .

". . . so we regard it as the best epidemiological evidence available to date that wooden cutting boards are not a hazard to human health, but plastic cutting boards may be."
:gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS