Cutting boards (thanks DaveO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

toolferone

I [strike]stole[/strike] borrowed the idea from DaveO. He failed to mention what a complete pain in the burl these are to make. Very time consuming too. I have done a total of 3 glue-ups. I used maple and cherry with 1/16" walnut strips between. I have to take them out of the clamps, run them through the planner, sand, sand, and sand, and put a round over on the edge. I will send each board with a smal bottle of mineral oil and instructions for finishing them.

Happiness is lots of clamps!!

cb%201.jpg

cb%202.jpg

cb%205.jpg

mcoston2

New User
michael
Great job on the boards.:eusa_clap
The LOML keeps wondering why I buy clamps the way I do and I keep telling her that man never has enough clamps.:lol: Again Great Job!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom, it looks like you got everything to line up OK. Hey did I ever mention that they were a real PITA to make:lol::lol:. But the WOW factor is worth it. Please post pics went they are all cleaned up and prettified.
Dave

quid_non

Wayne
Senior User
Hi Tom!
Those look really nice!! Me also thinks you need "just a few more clamps".
Best
Wayne

sediener

New User
Steve
Looks nice Tom, so what is the process?

Stack two different patterns together,
route the curve with a pattern-bit,
glue
and repeat,
and repeat,
and repeat,
and repeat,
and repeat?

- Steve

T

toolferone

Looks nice Tom, so what is the process?

Stack two different patterns together,
route the curve with a pattern-bit,
glue
and repeat,
and repeat,
and repeat,
and repeat,
and repeat?

- Steve

Yes stacking, but no router. Stack a cherry glue up on top of a maple GU and tape them together. Draw the nice gentle curve and band saw out. Swap out the middle pieces of cherry and maple and glue back together with the walnut strip to make up the blade kerf. Unclamp, plane smooth, stack again and tape together. Draw gentle curves 90 deg to the first. and band saw again. Trade out the middles again and glue back together with the walnut strip for the kerf. Unclamp plan smooth and lots of sanding. Lots of work, but looks very cool.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I forgot from the original post, but what bandsaw blade are you using?

If it were me I couldn't cut a smooth enough curve so the walnut would fit tightly. Maybe I'll try one today, just of the heck of it.

T

toolferone

I forgot from the original post, but what bandsaw blade are you using?

If it were me I couldn't cut a smooth enough curve so the walnut would fit tightly. Maybe I'll try one today, just of the heck of it.

I used what I had which is a 1/4" x 6tpi. I wish I had used a 1/4" x 10tpi. It would have been a smoother cut. You really need to watch out for blade deflection if you want them to match back up when you trade top and bottom pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS