Cutting boards - scroll saw practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgoins

Marvin
Senior User
Happy New Year!

Recently my father-in-law was having a barn taken down, and gave me first pick of boards to come down for my lumber stash. The barn stood on the property that he grew up on, and that's been in his family for over 100 years. It was built by his uncle from lumber cut and milled onsite. His grandfather ran a sawmill there back in the 1930's and '40's. The old barn had stood there, for as long as he could remember. It was clear he hated tearing it down, as he told stories of the good old days: milking the cow, gathering eggs, and putting up hay and tobacco.

We pulled boards that were 'in the dry', that ranged from 8 to 14 inches in width, and 8 1/2 feet long.. The ones I've cleaned off and planed so far, are all wormy chestnut. Beautiful wood.

As a small token of appreciation, my wife suggested that we make a momento from the first planed board. Here's what we came up with: Cutting boards shaped like Pineapple, the symbol of hospitality. Made one for each household associated with the barn.

This is the first project to take advantage of the 24" Delta Scroll Saw we found back in October. Am not ready for intense scrollwork just yet. We'll call this the crawling stage.

Here's the first one fresh from the scroll saw.
3c6d79f1.jpg

Treated with Mineral Oil, really highlights the beauty of the wood, and character created by the worms.
a1c0fa07.jpg

Made 5 in all. This shows the contrast created by the oil.
31e393aa.jpg

In our kitchen...
2d865f7f.jpg

All done.
288e67d0.jpg

jhreed

New User
james
I love the sentiment involved. Really old wood, from the family. Really old saw whose family is of the best. Good craftmanship and good intentions. Sounds like a life's lesson to me.
Did the work lamp come with the saw? Mine did not and is also missing the Reeves drive.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS