cutting board wood

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
One of these days I am going to learn how to put all my questions in one post.

The cutting board is going to be 2" thick. Is there any advantage to laminating 2 4/4 boards over using one 8/4 board?

SabertoothBunny

SabertoothBunny
Corporate Member
It comes down to personal preference and what you are trying to create as far as the size/dimensions of the cutting board itself.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Seems like more work to laminate, so I'd say it's a disadvantage to do so. Unless that's 'the look' you want.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have made edge grain and end grain boards using lumber from 12/4 thick down to under 3/4.
Thinner stock stock just means more glue ups and more chances for mis-alignment that will have to be flattened out once the glue sets up.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I am assuming you have decided to go with a face or edge grain cutting board. If so I would use 8/4 wood. I don't think laminating two slabs of 4/4 would look right (just opinion). If going with end grain then the thickness of the stock shouldn't matter much, you will just have more and smaller sections or blocks to glue up. You could make it as thick as you want. 8/4 would always be easier I think whatever way you go (like Mark said)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS