Cutting Board - Warping

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
I made a friend of mine an end grain ash and walnut cutting board. This was my first large cutting board. It's roughly 24"x16"x3/4". This was 28 individual pieces of ash and 12 pieces of walnut that were glued up. The pieces started out over 1" thick and I drum sanded them down to under 3/4" once it was all glued up. The ash was glued up first and then the walnut. The border was going to be maple but I thought that was ugly. I could not be happier with how the cutting board looks but upon closer inspection, I'm not happy (the old 'Looks good from afar but far from good'). The board will warp when left flat but if I flip it over, it gets close to flat again.

I will get paid for the cutting board and I just don't feel great about it. If he's not happy with the board - I will make a new one. But I'd like to know how to avoid this in the future. I don't have a true shop - just my garage. The wood has been in the shop for a while so time to acclimate. I did wet the board to raise the grain and re-sand. Clearly (according to the majority of my posts) - glue up is a challenge for me. I don't believe I over-tighten the clamps.

And next board I make - I will glue up edge pieces first and then cut a strip of end grain. That may help.

Thoughts? Thanks...

Attachments

• cutting_board.jpg
    cutting_board.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 183

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Hey Bill,

1st, that’s a really nice looking board. I especially like the staggered pattern for the ash and the contrast of the walnut sets the ash.

A couple of thoughts, 3/4 “ seems fairly thin for an end grain board. Second, did you soak the board completely in mineral oil so as to equalize the saturation? I had a cracking/splitting problem with my 1st end grain. I poured the top w/oil but only wiped the bottom. I subsequently soaked the board and the split/crack closed, not 100% but close).

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks Dan.

The board warped before the oil was applied. I put a lot of mineral oil on both the top and bottom and applied a second coat the following day.

My friend was concerned about the weight of the board. Originally he wanted a larger board bit less than 10 lbs. I agree that it is thin but my glue up was bad and ended up sanding to 3/4” to get it even.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
For a board that large (length width) and thin (3/4) i think will always warp.

I would make it side grain from quarter sawn wood for the greatest stability.

bainin

New User
bainin
I made a similar sized board using cherry/walnut. I didn't have a tank to allow it to submerge in mineral oil, but did soak it and let it sit with the oil on each surface overnite. The end grains will soak up oil pretty readily, until they don't anymore-so you can simply keep adding oil until you see little droplets left on the surface-then you know its saturated.

It is reasonably stable, but if I rinse it and then place it flat on a surface, it will warp because the top side water evaporates away while the bottom side water is trapped on the surface it lays on. The fibers on the top surface shrink relative to the bottom surface due to lower water content.

This is pretty normal behavior and most cutting board manufacturers advise to :

1. Wipe excess water off after cleaning
2. Allow board to air dry in a position that both large surfaces can air dry evenly

These steps seem to minimize the warping in daily use for me.

b

Attachments

• cuttingboard2.jpg
    cuttingboard2.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 112

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I pour oil on top of end grain boards until the oil comes all the way through the bottom. Then turn it over to oil the bottom. Back when we had chats with professionals, this is what he recommended. No, I don’t remember which pro. The boards are still stable and in use.

Billm0066

Bill
User
As others have said its too thin for end grain. I make my end grain no less than 1 3/4" thick but mostly 2". Thin boards like that are better off being plastic or bamboo. I would make a new one for him. Lots of people her work in their garage, so dont let that deter you.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I pour oil on top of end grain boards until the oil comes all the way through the bottom. Then turn it over to oil the bottom. Back when we had chats with professionals, this is what he recommended. No, I don’t remember which pro. The boards are still stable and in use.
They are also 1 1/2“ to 2” thick. I don’t own one, they were gifts.

Bill_L

Bill
Corporate Member
As others have said its too thin for end grain. I make my end grain no less than 1 3/4" thick but mostly 2". Thin boards like that are better off being plastic or bamboo. I would make a new one for him. Lots of people her work in their garage, so dont let that deter you.
The original request was larger and under 10 lbs so thickness was the only way to make it lighter. Lesson learned. Thicker and smaller. And I’ll be in may garage all winter. I have a little heater.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS