Cutting board question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I see most cutting board threads say they are made from end grain blocks. Is this a must? I mostly turn my projects but would like to give a cutting board a try.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Johnny: End grain boards have the advantage that knife cuts are made - well - into the end grain. Other wood grain orientations in a board will have the knife cuts made across the grain. Over time these across the grain cuts do 'wear away" the wood.

That said - I have many cutting boards - and none have been end grain. If boards are so well used that they show knife cuts as wear, well, I guess I like that.

Put simply - make the board(s) in any grain orientation that you like. It still works as a cutting board!

Henry

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Thanks Henry, I figured the board will hold up better if I used end grain. I am going to give one a shot in the next few weeks. I hope.

Bryan S

Bryan
What Henry said. Just out of curiosity I did a search in the photo gallery for cutting boards and came up with several pages. There is a good mix of end grain and long grain cutting boards that have been uploaded by our members. Take a gander through and you will see plenty of interesting designs with the grain oriented length wise.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/search.php?searchid=85157&cpage=1

Let your creative juices take over and have fun.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I believe end grain cutting boards are also a little easier on the knife.

Hopefully David (The Boardsmith) will chime in.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Another +1 to what Henry said. I've made them both ways, but haven't heard how they've held up. End grain is definitely more challenging to make, but also more rewarding in the end. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS