Cutting Board Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

708custom

New User
Chris
Ok so im about to build a couple cutting boards for christmas presents. Im going to do long grain not endgrain. What im needing help or information on is i want to have a picture either transfered onto it or engraved on it maybe even burnt onto it. Has anyone done this before if so what process did you use? Or what process should i use?

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Chris,

Assuming this will be a functional cutting board, how will you prevent the knife from destroying your picture?

Steve

708custom

New User
Chris
That was one of the problems I seen. I know with engraved cutting boards they are more for show than use. I would like if at all possible for them to be usable if the person wants to use them. That's why I was hoping someone would chime in who has been able to accomplish this. Unless I was to do the picture or engraving on one side and put small clear feet on the picture side so they could use the other for cutting on..

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm thinking any engraving on a cutting surface would destroy it for that purpose - you might get away with smallish patterns in the corners

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I'm thinking any engraving on a cutting surface would destroy it for that purpose - you might get away with smallish patterns in the corners

I would very much agree.

Any sort of engraving or wood burning will result in depressions in the cutting board's surface, destroying its chief benefit of offering a flat work surface to cut and prepare foods on. Those depressions will, unless very fine in detail, will tend to result in portions of the food item not being fully cut through. The irregularities in the surface will also complicate properly wiping or rinsing off of the cutting board to clean it between food items.

But if it is only to be a decorative cutting board, without concern for functionality, then have at it as then it just another beautiful slab of wood to be made into art.

toolman

Administrator
Chad
Do the engraving on the side if you can go that small. I burn my name and info on the sides.. Here is a photo of the last one I made..

20150602_204001.jpg

20150602_203744.jpg

This one was 24 x 36 x 3 1/2 Maple and Walnut w/ Walnut Pins on the side..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS