Cutting angled tenons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred85

New User
Josh
I will be starting a new coffee table soon in which the legs will be canted out from the stretchers at a modest angle (10-15* maybe?). When cutting the M&T joints here, should i angle the mortises when i cut those or should i cut angled tenons to fit square-cut mortises? I honestly don't know which would be preferable...:help:

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
I would cut the mortises square to the stock and angle the tenons. Just easier that way, IMHO.

C.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Why don't you sketch it out both ways, maybe make a mock up joint in soft pine and see which way you like better?

Without seeing the pieces you want to join I couldn't honestly say which would be better.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
My vote below.

IMG_22662.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

Chuck

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
One consideration would be which way would be best for securing, clamping during assembly. Angled mortises may cause problems when inserting the tenons if the tenon pieces also have to align with other pieces when going in.

JMTCW

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I would do straight tenons, with angled shoulders. Mortises would be angled. This way everything is a straight connection when clamping

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another consideration is your tooling. Not a big deal for angled mortises if using hand tools, but if cleaning out a mortise with a router, bit length could be a problem, and if on a drill press, jigging the part to hold it accurately would also be a challenge. Either would also require some hand tool work for the mortise bottom, unless they are through mortises.

Mike's idea of making a mock joint first would sure help sort out the manufacturing difficulties.

Go

pviser

New User
paul
Good luck on the angled M/T joints. They are surely more trouble than the standard right angle variety, but your piece should have real class. They are definitely worth the added skill and neuron requirements!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS