Cutting Aluminum T-Track on Kapex

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
I'm trying to convince myself that I really can cut aluminum T-track on my Kapex without dulling the blade. Is it true?

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
If you are still skittish, Diablo makes 7-1/4 thin kerf blades for both aluminum and steel. Just be sure to start your cut very slowly to avoid losing teeth ( DAMHIKT). Available from “Homer’s”.
FAA0A487-499B-4151-B2FA-64A57C37671C.jpeg

Here is a usage example. I used a lube but paraffin rubbed on the cut line works pretty well.
9757523D-656C-4446-9ECD-7FE1A160DC4E.jpeg

Last edited:

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I use a dull blade. Wear safety glasses. If I'm cutting a lot I'll make sure to wear long sleeves and a face shield.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Long sleeves and button up to neck the chips can and will be hot.
Also cut slow and consistent rate otherwise the alum will gum up on the blade and that is a hassle to clean off

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
You guys have talked me into it.

I was always afraid to do it. I just used a grinder with a cut-off wheel than squared it up on the sander.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Clean out the wood chips before cutting metal is my recommendation.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
On the table saw swap out the blade to a 7 or 8" 60 tooth blade then have at it. On the chop saw I do not change the blade

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
There always have been blades specifically toothed for aluminum. They keep the chips down for one thing. The expense isn't usually worth it. Just suit up and use whatever blade you've got.

striker

New User
Stephen
Used to do it all the time for work back in the day. Good plywood blade and used a stick wax to keep it from gumming up. Used a stick wax from DoAll...not sure whats available today.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS