Custom Wood maiboxes were big as a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.

briansvista

New User
brian123a
I remember someone who did well making custom wood mailboxes as a child. I just wanted to tell the pros that it might be a good idea for them to get into that.

manfre

New User
Manfre
That's one of the projects I have had planned for a while. A mailbox that looks like a beehive.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Red,
It's not a neighborhood full of "beehive" or some other wacky mailbox post.
They are just new construction subdivisions that want a particular style post that is not commercially available. You know, kinda like elitist that want to be different. I make what's requested and sell them to another company which installs them. To me that's custom mailboxes.
Housing starts have been slow so this business is slowly creeping along right now.
Rob

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
That's one of the projects I have had planned for a while. A mailbox that looks like a beehive.
A nuc box would be about the same size in size as a large mail box. Something in the three to four frame size. (Used to operate fifty hives, but no more.)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Fred Ford in Cary did this for a while, but he figured he was only able to write off tool expenses to the level of profit. Not many tools were written off. However thermally modified wood could change things. It is rot resistant, and takes on very little moisture. Looks almost like white pine. Accepts paint very well. Rex Lumber is the distributor in our area.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Bruce,
We think a like. I talked to Lewis Lumber three weeks ago about using thermally modified for this application. They don't recommend placing it in contact with the ground. The only way to use it would be in apps where the mailbox post is hollow and slides over a preset PT post.
I'm experimenting with some Therm Mod cherry and soft maple right now in some of my craft items.
Rob

jhreed

New User
james
It is my assumption that you guys spent all your money on equipment and material and had none left for a camera.
James

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Bruce,
We think a like. I talked to Lewis Lumber three weeks ago about using thermally modified for this application. They don't recommend placing it in contact with the ground. The only way to use it would be in apps where the mailbox post is hollow and slides over a preset PT post.
I'm experimenting with some Therm Mod cherry and soft maple right now in some of my craft items.
Rob
Thermally modified Accoya that I saw at IWF had been a canal liner in the Netherlands for 13 years and so no signs of rot. Contact Rex Lumber about some info if you like. Most of the "designer mail box posts" I have seen slip over a 4 X 4. The 4 X 4 has to be dry before it is used though, or it will twist and make the boxes look sad, or weird.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Thanks for the info Bruce. Lewis just has NA domestic woods and they only have poplar for exterior applications. How far South is Rex delivering now? Last I new they stopped at the VA-NC line.
I do make one style that is based on a 4x4 post, I was hoping to solve some PT issues with the TM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS