Custom kitchen w/Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay
Hello everyone, after posting my shop tour, a few folks asked to see my work. This Kitchen was completed fall of last year. I enjoyed this one because it was for the homeowner that knew exactly what she wanted.

The boxes were built from pre finished maple ply and the outside is all alder. If there is any thing you would like to critique, please let me know, thanks for looking.

McGee Kitchen Pro Photos 003 (600 x 402).jpg

McGee Kitchen Pro Photos 007 (600 x 402).jpg

McGee Kitchen Pro Photos 009 (600 x 400).jpg

McGee Kitchen Pro Photos 018 (600 x 402).jpg

McGee Kitchen Pro Photos 023 (400 x 600).jpg

McGee Kitchen Pro Photos 030 (600 x 400).jpg

McGee Kitchen Pro Photos 045 (600 x 402).jpg

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Re: Custom kitcken w/Pics

looks really good Jay. How long did that take?

DaveO

New User
DaveO

WOW, I really like how you treated the hood over the range. Very custom :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
I showed these pictures to my wife, and now I am in trouble. What H.S. did you go to? My wife thinks that your name is familar.
Dave:)

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert

Jay,
Great looking cabinet work. In one of your other post you mentioned that you use waterbased finishes. I've been doing some work with waterbased stain and tinted polyacrylic on some small production items. I'd be interested in any info. you would be willing to share on how you finish your cabinets.
Rob

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay

looks really good Jay. How long did that take?

Hi Jon, it took 1 month from start to finish ( part time ) w/ a part time employee. Some of custom things took longer than I would have liked. There are 4 pull out legs that were a pain in the butt. It was also the first time I had done curved panels over the cooktop. I dont know how but I nailed it first try:).

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay

WOW, I really like how you treated the hood over the range. Very custom :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
I showed these pictures to my wife, and now I am in trouble. What H.S. did you go to? My wife thinks that your name is familar.

Thanks Dave, I went to Carver High, and I promise I didnt date your wife ( I think ):rolf:. Please dont kick me off this forum, I kinda like it here:eusa_pray

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay

Jay,
Great looking cabinet work. In one of your other post you mentioned that you use waterbased finishes. I've been doing some work with waterbased stain and tinted polyacrylic on some small production items. I'd be interested in any info. you would be willing to share on how you finish your cabinets.
Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for the compliments. After many years of frustration, I finally found a finish that I like. Target Coatings, the best stuff I have used, expensive compared to Minwax, but well worth it. Most of my colors are toners (Trans Tint mixed in Conversion Varnish or spray lacquer) kinda the same as your tinted poly.It is the only way I have found to get a uniform finish on blotch prone woods like Maple and Alder. Seal coat, sand, 3 coats toner, seal, glaze ( if required ) 3 coats conversion varnish.

If you want a detailed schedule, just let me know, thanks

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Hi Rob, thanks for the compliments. After many years of frustration, I finally found a finish that I like. Target Coatings, the best stuff I have used, expensive compared to Minwax, but well worth it. Most of my colors are toners (Trans Tint mixed in Conversion Varnish or spray lacquer) kinda the same as your tinted poly.It is the only way I have found to get a uniform finish on blotch prone woods like Maple and Alder. Seal coat, sand, 3 coats toner, seal, glaze ( if required ) 3 coats conversion varnish.

If you want a detailed schedule, just let me know, thanks

I would like to get more details. I just tried my first pass with transtint dyes and wasn't real happy with it. As for Target Coatings, I have been using it for well over a year and have to agree it is some awesome stuff.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Jay---I don't which is the most impressive, the shop or the cabinet job!!!! A very well equiped shop that looks to be well organized. And those cabinets---beautiful job. Man I wish you were closer, I am just before redoing our whole kitchen. I could use a lot of advice from someone such as you.

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Thanks Dave, I went to Carver High, and I promise I didnt date your wife ( I think ):rolf:. Please dont kick me off this forum, I kinda like it here:eusa_pray

She went to Ledford, she's a little bit more "country" :roll:
If you did date her, that's more reason to have you here. It shows you have great taste and a incredible amount of patience :lol::lol:

Jon

New User
Jon Todd

She went to Ledford, she's a little bit more "country" :roll:
If you did date her, that's more reason to have you here. It shows you have great taste and a incredible amount of patience :lol::lol:

I dated 2 girls from Ledford Dave they were our age.(37) Is She a Christy or Wendy?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
No her name is Audrey, but she's not our age, she's 6 years younger :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay

I would like to get more details. I just tried my first pass with transtint dyes and wasn't real happy with it. As for Target Coatings, I have been using it for well over a year and have to agree it is some awesome stuff.

Hi Travis, I dont know how you used the Trans Tint ( toner, stain??). 95% of my cabinet finishes go something like this

Sand everything to 220 grit ( hand and ROS)

Sealcoat, I just spray a good coat of USL thinned 25% w/water

Sand with 320 ( hand and ROS )

Spray 3 coats of toner
no more than 1/2 oz of Trans Tint to 32 oz USL. depending on the color I am after it could be as little as 1/8 to 1/4 oz Trans Tint

If Glazing, Spray a non dilluted coat of USL to seal, then glaze. I use the water based glazes Target sales. If your not using glaze, just go straight to the topcoats

Sand w/ scotchbrite pad, 3 coats of USL or conversion Varnish. If you have spent alot of time spraying this stuff, you shouldnt have to sand in between coats. Sometimes I dont do any sanding ( after the sealcoat sanding ) until after the 2nd coat of topcoat. It just depends on how smooth you have sprayed all the color coats. Hope this has helped.

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay
Jay---I don't which is the most impressive, the shop or the cabinet job!!!! A very well equiped shop that looks to be well organized. And those cabinets---beautiful job. Man I wish you were closer, I am just before redoing our whole kitchen. I could use a lot of advice from someone such as you.

Jerry

If you want to make the drive, you are welcome to stop by, or if there is anything I can help you with, let me know, thanks for the compliments, Jay

Jay Brewer

New User
Jay

I really like that pull out spice rack, is that the four legs you mentioned?

Is that your original design? I've never seen anything like that before.

Thanks Mike. I dont think I was the first one to use the pull outs but the ones I had seen went all the way to the floor and im sure would eventually sag and scratch the floor. I ened up cutting the leg were the turning starts so the bottom "blank" stays attached to the cab. There are four of them, 2 by the cooktop and 2 by the sink.All four are different on the inside, the one you see in the pic, one for cooking sheets, towel rack and the last with adjustable shelves for cleaning products. Just figuring all the deminsions and making it easilly pulled out without a knob was the tricky part.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Jay -

Beautiful work. If it is not private info, what is the normal cost you would charge for doing cabinets in a kitchen that size? We're looking to redo a kitchen and would be interested in understanding ballpark figures for custom work like you have done.

Great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS